Skip to content

The Eisenhower Linenbacking Experience...

Comments

• edited May 2015
    The final product cut off the frame. Will look decent in a frame, on the wall, from a few feet away. Have quickly come to realize just how much talent is in those who have developed resto skills! photo C2D15606-5CD4-4624-B545-3712D4725B2A_zpsgow5vyia.jpg
  • Very good - got to realise no one sees a poster that close, more about camouflage rather than invisibility.
  • David said:
    Very good - got to realise no one sees a poster that close, more about camouflage rather than invisibility.

Hahaha...you know that is how I felt working on the Bridge/Remagen. It had so many different shades of brown, orange, tan, it was boggling! If I had the 120 pencils that I'm buying soon, it would have been closer. Camouflage, good description! Dario & Charlie are the standards. I've got some years(s) to go...
  • 120 pencils - the German ones?

Then you have to learn how to air brush!
  • Yeah-as soon as I read that Dario/Charlie were using the FC Albrecht Durer's I had to find them. Air brush...i need to become proficient at pencils & gouache watercolors first. Then air brush-that requires masking & other techniques.
  • :-bd
  • =D>
  • edited May 2015
    Thanks Charlie & Matt, appreciate it. It's been almost two months since I backed my first paper & still lots to learn & perfect just with the wet work & backing. Adjustments to be made to making the paste & getting it on the canvas/masa/poster. Even cutting the poster from the canvas & trimming a process...onward!... :)>-
  • Oh boy...that looks fantastic. !!
  • Thanks Rosa! Here's the latest effort: OS from 1953. It was in decent shape prior to backing.------ Had some toning from age, but no significant paper loss, top cross fold only real concern for washing. ------top right showed minor bleed through of he NSS stamp on back, top left shows slight vertical "blue line" I'm guessing from a printing error? photo 17617F06-1176-48DD-AE9B-2B8F983E0701_zps9x4l56ky.jpg
  • Backside showed some dirt/toning along the fold lines, NSS stamp, grease pencil at top left. Wash took care of dirt, drafters eraser took care of grease pencil (thanks Charlie) and a light sanding/bleach eliminated NSS ink stamp. photo 0D91B320-C39E-4E65-929B-75ACEECA2764_zps4pzqtbcx.jpg
  • Stamp showing through at top border. photo 18B44B34-488E-4207-8E8E-8344397D8F8F_zpsjiyyb3px.jpg Top middle fold line separation. photo 8A397F85-E8B4-4EEA-BC72-C28853B145BC_zpsfz2shseo.jpg
  • edited May 2015
    After wash light blue line (printing defect?) became more pronounced! photo 5C7FFBA4-9662-419A-9585-5F821FE57BA8_zpsurqjkt0x.jpg Center cross fold needs minor touching up. photo A5BE30C7-62AB-4513-B251-49E902B9A7D0_zpsxqd82c02.jpg Ink stamp on backside not visible anymore. photo 1B013F82-CF1C-4DB7-8595-CDF2BBB6CC0B_zpszd1ldpw1.jpg
  • edited May 2015
    From a procedural aspect, I felt really good about this effort. Wet work went off good. Deacidification pushed out a lot of acids, bleaching was better controlled, laying of masa went off well, and poster rolled out great! photo F0030247-4074-4006-8349-65A325EE6DE5_zpsryfhzzcz.jpg I'm almost getting up the nerve to start backing some of my costlier (relative of course) paper in about a month! ;)
  • Looking great mate!
  • Love it!
  • That looks like such a professional job Mark and a great looking poster!

For the centre fold separation, will you fill it with paper mulch and touch up or just touch up?

• Thanks guys, I'm ordering some methylcellulose & cellulose powder to experiment with as infill. Am going to tear some masa paper into strips, soak & mix w/ wheat paste. --------- Wondering if soaking cotton duct or other cotton rag (will need to find it first) then mixing with MC/wheat paste. I've read about infill, just need to start experimenting. -----it's not a deep infill, but would look poor if not filled in with something & just penciled in or painted.
  • I'm happy that the color didn't "loosen" as it had on the blue area of Northside 777. My bleaching time has been adjusted, as well as my deacidification step. No color loss so far!... :)>-
  • Am I right when I say restorers (try to) use paper from 'dead' posters from the same vintage to fill in the holes etc?
  • Thanks guys, I'm ordering some methylcellulose & cellulose powder to experiment with as infill. Am going to tear some masa paper into strips, soak & mix w/ wheat paste. --------- Wondering if soaking cotton duct or other cotton rag (will need to find it first) then mixing with MC/wheat paste. I've read about infill, just need to start experimenting. -----it's not a deep infill, but would look poor if not filled in with something & just penciled in or painted.
    Doesn't work very well it get knotty and when you go to sand it just pulls apart.
  • David said:
    Am I right when I say restorers (try to) use paper from 'dead' posters from the same vintage to fill in the holes etc?

As far as I understand it, if the missing area is large enough, esp on the edge or corners old paper infill can work-as in Charlie's video on Hour/Dawn. For smaller, shallower fills of the interior of poster, a mixed infill would seem to be more appropriate. Haven't done any of this yet...but that's my understanding of the process... :D
  • Charlie said:
    Thanks guys, I'm ordering some methylcellulose & cellulose powder to experiment with as infill. Am going to tear some masa paper into strips, soak & mix w/ wheat paste. --------- Wondering if soaking cotton duct or other cotton rag (will need to find it first) then mixing with MC/wheat paste. I've read about infill, just need to start experimenting. -----it's not a deep infill, but would look poor if not filled in with something & just penciled in or painted.
    Doesn't work very well it get knotty and when you go to sand it just pulls apart.

Charlie, masa paper or cotton rag? Didn't you use cotton rag & wheat paste for pinhole fills?
  • Cotton rag... Give it a go though may have just been the paper I used...
  • Thanks, will do...
  • edited June 2015
    Bulgarian- Joe Smith, American- picked this up few weeks ago. Liked the movie, haven't been able to pick up any US one sheets, but saw this aged piece, love the artwork & stamps. Thought it would be good project for restoration. photo B7781CA7-197B-437D-A787-FB6F7FA72F0B_zps7gzk9fys.jpg Find myself looking more & more at non US paper. Great different artwork!
  • edited July 2015
    While Charlie has been busy riding his bike-with no hands I might add-working on paper backing & removing old canvas and masa. I jumped back on my tricycle yesterday (after a much too busy June) & backed one of my Yugos!
  • Before. photo 3374F800-4365-4F29-B1DD-F662CACD845D_zpss92ybndc.jpg photo 37385A61-376D-4C81-85AF-D39273900FEC_zpstzcfjmyx.jpg
  • Backside does not appear to have much work. It did have pencil on two places which came off easily. Upon closer inspection, it had some dirt-sticky glue residue that needed to be carefully removed with a razor blade. photo 3C7A3A9B-52A2-4BD9-905D-B303A3F234C0_zpsuqdfnk1k.jpg photo C8154DEC-EDDB-4DEA-B6E9-14C54E520023_zps8jbuiqus.jpg photo DCBB2FFB-32F2-493C-9D12-6AD0E1A4B6A4_zpsb0ay7ozh.jpg
  • Wet work- deacidification & light bleach helped brighten poster slightly-& laying of masa & poster went great. Very pleased with effort. Fold lines will need minimal restoration. photo 75AC7FDD-C09C-48DB-A051-B36FC5FFF6F3_zpsqoplsl0k.jpg photo CAC427BA-BEF7-4B56-A752-7E46BCBBF86A_zpsixt2hmit.jpg