Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Musical Film Quiz

HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

Three images from Australian daybills. Who are the ladies?

Lawrence

Comments

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,910 admin
    Wow good quiz... Sure this didn't belong in the 'worst artwork' thread...

1. Two Weeks with Love, Jane Powell

I'll see if I can find the others later if no one else does...

That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    3. Estelita Rodriguez - Tropical Heatwave
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

Excellent start.

Jane Powell in Two Weeks With Love is correct  for image one  as is  Estelita Rodriguez in Tropical Heat Wave, who was sometimes as in this film billed solely as Estilita from image two.

'

Lawrence
    After a flying start we have hit a brick wall. A clue is the featured actress along with her male co-star in the film had a number 3 hit in the Billboard charts in 1951.
    Lawrence
    Sorry the clue given above was for the first film not the third so one should be able to work out the answer now. 
    Lawrence
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,308 admin
    3. Estelita Rodriguez, Tropical Heat Wave (1952)

David
    David said:
    3. Estelita Rodriguez, Tropical Heat Wave (1952)

Correct but John has already beat you to it but I know you knew if and didn't realise the question hadn't been answered earlier. 

The remaining number two image is of Debbie Reynolds in The Affairs Of Dobie Gillis.

Lawrence
    edited November 2020

It has now been over four years that this quiz has been just sitting here in the forum in a dormant stage. I  thought I would revive this quiz that covers a popular genre and give it another run. 

Two of the images are from very well known modern musical films, but the other two, well... good luck.

# 4                                                                                                                                        # 5

# 6                                                                                                                                   # 7
    Lawrence
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 111 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    edited November 2020
    La La Land

Jacques Cartier (Voodoo dancer) in King Of Jazz (1930)
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    #7 I immediately recognized as the cover of The Great Ziegfeld program book (surely because I have auctioned 15 of them, and I am the one who does the condition description on program books!).

We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    #4 I just remember from the movie I saw in the theater, Chicago. Someday I should watch Roxie Hart, with Ginger Rogers, based on the same story.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

La La Land

Bruce said:
    #7 I immediately recognized as the cover of The Great Ziegfeld program book (surely because I have auctioned 15 of them, and I am the one who does the condition description on program books!).

Bruce said:
    #4 I just remember from the movie I saw in the theater, Chicago. Someday I should watch Roxie Hart, with Ginger Rogers, based on the same story.
    All correct, with your memories working very well.

# 4. Chicago ( 2002 ). Loved this movie.
    # 5. La La Land ( 2016 ). Should have officially won the Best Picture Oscar.
    # 6. King Of Jazz ( 1930 ) . Looks interesting.
    # 7. The Great Ziegfeld ( 1936 ). Viewed the movie many moons ago when screened in an early morning television broadcast timeslot. I don't remember that it was a great movie, but interestingly nevertheless. The film runs only a short 75 minutes which wasn't the norm for major studio releases in 1942.

Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Wow, been offline three days and missed this completely.  So embarrassed as I am supposed to be the musicals nut.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    You should check out the new restoration of King Of Jazz. Criterion have released it on BluRay and it's a stunning restoration (mostly) from the original two colour technicolor negative.

Here's another shot of Jacques Cartier from the Rhapsody In Blue sequence.

And a clip here -

Great clip of King Of Jazz. Thanks for sharing.

I like this impressive German ''A1'' film poster.

Lawrence
    That’s a lovely poster. 
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I'm going to take a shot at posting some.  I expect these first ones will be easy, but hopefully I get better.  All images are scanned from my collection. and of well known musicals  Be gentle.

jnj1

JNJ2

JNJ3

JNJ4

- Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 

I will answer this one. JNJ3 is Stage Door Canteen ( 1943 ).

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    JNJ1 - Easter Parade (1948)

edited December 2020
    JNJ1 - Easter Parade (1948)

HONDO said:

I will answer this one. JNJ3 is Stage Door Canteen ( 1943 ).

Both correct.  Figured Hondo would be the one to get JNJ3.  Don't see many instances where Harpo Marx appears alone.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 

I knew Easter Parade as well but Ves beat me to the punch. The remaining two unanswered ones have me stumped though as to what they possibly could be.
    Lawrence
    Both are musicals based on Broadway plays from the 60s and 70s.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    jayn_j said:
    O.k. then JNJ4 is surely Man Of La Mancha ( 1972 ).

Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    jayn_j said:
    O.k. then JNJ4 is surely Man Of La Mancha ( 1972 ).

Yep.  I was going to post the whoile image portion next.

- Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    OK, let's try the full image (less title).  The actual lead is shown toward the right

- Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 

JNJ2 is a complete mystery to me.  Even after being given the Broadway connection clue and the extended image absolutely nothing, so it is with some reluctance I will have to give up trying to fathom this one out.
    Lawrence
    Would that be Gypsy with Rosalind Russell?
    That's it.
    Gypsy (1962) Rosalind Russel, Karl Maldin and Natalie Wood

Good job, and I obviously made it too hard here.  I'll work on it for next time.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    edited December 2020

Great selection Jay and I am looking forward to your next entries, and I do like a strong challenge. Before this happen to take place though, here are three more images that I have had lined up to present here for some time now. A mixed bag of musical styles presented here.

8 ( top ) ,  9 ( middle ) and 10 ( just above ).
    Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    La La Land

Bruce said:

Bruce said:
    All correct, with your memories working very well.

# 4. Chicago ( 2002 ). Loved this movie.
    # 5. La La Land ( 2016 ). Should have officially won the Best Picture Oscar.
    # 6. King Of Jazz ( 1930 ) . Looks interesting.
    # 7. The Great Ziegfeld ( 1936 ). Viewed the movie many moons ago when screened in an early morning television broadcast timeslot. I don't remember that it was a great movie, but interestingly nevertheless. The film runs only a short 75 minutes which wasn't the norm for major studio releases in 1942.

CORRECTION.

I don't know what happened here  but the following comment that I included  above in my # 7 validation  was referring to Roxie Hart and not The Great Ziegfeld. Sorry about that.

''Viewed the movie many moons ago when screened in an early morning television broadcast timeslot. I don't remember that it was a great movie, but interestingly nevertheless. The film runs only a short 75 minutes which wasn't the norm for major studio releases in 1942.''

I have also noticed that the original numbering of the four images when first presented is now out of whack with the images for some reason ot another.

Lawrence