Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Musical Film Quiz

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    edited December 2020
     11 12

Should be gettable, in particular the first one.
    Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Knew the first one instantly, so I will let others have it.

Second one is Rio Lita (1929), a Woolsey and Wheeler musical that I have unfortunately never seen.

- Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 

jayn_j said:
    Knew the first one instantly, so I will let others have it.

Second one is Rio Lita (1929), a Woolsey and Wheeler musical that I have unfortunately never seen.

I had ained the firsr one hopefully for Ves to answer.

The second is of course Rio Rita. It is available on DVD, but it would appear in the only existing version as described below.

''Five reels of the film are believed to be lost. The 103-minute version that is generally available is the re-release from 1932, which had been edited significantly and had reduced the length of the original film from 15 reels to only 10 reels. This is the print that is currently being broadcast on cable by Turner Classic Movies, which is missing about 40 minutes of footage. New York's Museum of Modern Art once had a print of the full-length Rio Rita, but that print was lost or possibly stolen from the museum's archives. The entire soundtrack for the original roadshow version of the film survives on Vitaphone disks. Both picture and sound for at least two musical numbers from the long version are also known to survive: "When You're In Love, You'll Waltz" and "The Kinkajou"''.Rio Rita (1929 film) - Wikiwand

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited December 2020
    White Christmas :)
    # 11 correct. I knew you would get this one. :) 

The set used in White Christmas ( 1954 ) was according to IMDB, a remodled version of the set used in the earlier Paramount  film Holiday Inn from 1942.  

Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    HONDO said:
    The set used in White Christmas ( 1954 ) was according to IMDB, a remodled version of the set used in the earlier Paramount  film Holiday Inn from 1942.  

The house is nearly identical, as is the driveway.  The major difference is the addition of the barn.

I was going to say that Summer Stock set is similar, but it was MGM, while White Christmas and Holiday Inn are both Paramount.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 

I would say these three are possibly a combination of easy to difficult images to answer. 
    Lawrence
    edited January 3
    14: Reveille with Beverly (1943)

War time exploitation and pretty forgettable.  Must admit that 15 currently has me stumped.
    Post edited by jayn_j on
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    13 Cry Me a River Julie London was incredibly sexy, and a great voice too!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    Bruce said:
    Yes that is true ... and the film it's from is ?

Lawrence
    jayn_j said:
    14: Reveille with Beverly (1943)

War time exploitation and pretty forgettable.  Must admit that 15 currently has me stumped.
    14 is correct of course. It does have the lovely Ann Miller though.

!5 I thought this image may prove to be a difficult one. You may need to think outside the box here.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    Bruce said:

The Girl Can't Help It

Call me crazy, but I found Julie London sexier than Jayne Mansfield!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Bruce said:
    HONDO said:
    Bruce said:

The Girl Can't Help It

Call me crazy, but I found Julie London sexier than Jayne Mansfield!

The Girl Can't Help It ( 1956 ) is correct. Long after details about the film fade a little the scene that lingers mostly with me  is Julie singing Cry Me A River.

I agree Bruce that  she was sexier than Jane Mansfield. She is seen above With Buster Crabbe, even looking sexy in her film debut at the age of 17 appearing in the povery row PRC feature Nabonga, which was released in 1944.
    Lawrence
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 111 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    15 is on the tip of my tongue and I think I'll kick myself when it's revealed.
    edited January 4
    The images are similar to the Faust stuff in The Bandwagon, especially the replay in the Slaughter on 10th Avenue number, but I really don't think that's it.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    jayn_j said:
    The images are similar to the Faust stuff in The Bandwagon, especially the replay in the Slaughter on 10th Avenue number, but I really don't think that's it.
    The Bandwagon was what came to mind for me too.
    The Red Shoes?
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Red Shoes was what I was thinking, but cant find the image.
    jayn_j said:
    jayn_j said:
    jayn_j said:
    The Red Shoes?

Sorry but it isn't The Bandwagon or The Red Shoes. Need more time to try and figure it out or would you like to know the answer now?
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    jayn_j said:
    jayn_j said:
    jayn_j said:
    The Red Shoes?

Sorry but it isn't The Bandwagon or The Red Shoes. Need more time to try and figure it out or would you like to know the answer now?
    I feel sure I have seen it, and I am thinking it is NOT from a major movie.

I wasted over an hour searching my Auction History for it in various ways, to no avail!
    And I would rather have another hint than the answer! :)
    Bruce said:

I feel sure I have seen it, and I am thinking it is NOT from a major movie.

I wasted over an hour searching my Auction History for it in various ways, to no avail!
    I had actually thought that you would end up answering this one Bruce. It appears that it is now the time to put everyone out of their misery. I thought this one would be a challenge, but did think someone would eventually figure it out.

The what proved to be a very difficult to answer film title is Tonight We Sing ( 1953 ).

A little known today film that is only available on DVD on an apparently unofficial NTSC formay region 0 release. The film was originally released by the majot studio 20th Century Fox. I don't believe that I have ever seen it play on televison, at least in the last forty years anyway.

Lawrence
    Bruce said:
    And I would rather have another hint than the answer! :)
    Sorry Bruce. We overlapped a little and I only read you request after I had sent off the answer. Pity about that. I have two more though coming up shortly that should be right up your alley, that is if you get in early enough.  

Lawrence
    It was lurking in the back of my mind! The reason I remember the title so well is because NOTHING from it sells for much of ANYTHING! I guess no one collects on it!
    Argh.  Not what I was thinking at all!

This rare film poster from Yugoslavia tried something different by promoting  the music as well as the featured artists.
    Lawrence
    I never would have guessed that one!
    OK, I'm going to try a few more.  Some should be easy, others more obscure.

JNJ13

JNJ14

JNJ15

JNJ16

- Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    edited January 11

JNJ15 is Jack Klugman and Aline MacMahon in I Could Go On Singing ( 1963 ).

JNJ16 is How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying ( 1967 ).
    Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
    edited January 11
    JNJ16 is correct.

From the finale 'Brotherhood of Man' number.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training