Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Musical Film Quiz

24567

Comments

  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    #10 is Mardi Gras with Pat Boone. (1958)

    #9 looks in style of Fred and Ginger, but I think it is a lesser film, as I don't recognize it.  Definitely from the mid 30s.

    I've seen that image for #8.  Fairly recent film, but I haven't seen it.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

    jayn_j said:
    #10 is Mardi Gras with Pat Boone. (1958)

    #9 looks in style of Fred and Ginger, but I think it is a lesser film, as I don't recognize it.  Definitely from the mid 30s.

    I've seen that image for #8.  Fairly recent film, but I haven't seen it.
    # 10 is correct with Sheree North displaying her lovely legs in the foreground.

    # 9 was a lesser film in the U.S.A., but not so in its country of origin and many other countries.

    # 8 is indeed modern and is a great film, with the leading lady giving a tremendous performance. 
    Lawrence
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 124 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    9. Would that be 'First A Girl' with Jessie Matthews?
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    edited December 2020


    9. Would that be 'First A Girl' with Jessie Matthews?
    It certainly is First A Girl, a British film from 1935. Well spotted.



    There were four versions of this story. The first was Viktor Und Viktoria from Germany in 1933. This was followed by First A Girl ( 1935 ) from the U.K., then later by Viktor Und Viktoria from West Germany in 1957. Finally Victor Victoria from the U.K. and the U.S.A. in 1982 which is the more well known version remembered today.

     ( 1933  German version )

     ( 1957 version West German version )


     ( 1982 UK / USA version )
    Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    edited December 2020


    A clue for the remaining unanswered # 8 is that the female star of this film  appeared in another musical not long after this one.
    Lawrence
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    There was also a French language version of the 1933 Viktor Und Viktoria, called "Georges et Georgette"


    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    Bruce said:
    There was also a French language version of the 1933 Viktor Und Viktoria, called "Georges et Georgette"



    Interesting that an alternative French version was also made.Thanks for that information Bruce.Both films were German and made by UFA.
    Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    OK, then.  #8 is Wild Rose (2018).  Remember the poster and just read the reviews.  I need to search this one out.  Thanks.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    HONDO said:
    Bruce said:
    There was also a French language version of the 1933 Viktor Und Viktoria, called "Georges et Georgette"



    Interesting that an alternative French version was also made.Thanks for that information Bruce.Both films were German and made by UFA.
    This was pretty common from 1930 to 1933. They would shoot the two (sometimes THREE!) versions simultaneously, usually one in the day and one at night, which saved them a fortune on production costs. Sometimes they had entirely different casts for the versions, and sometimes bi-lingual actors would be able to do both movies. If the actors were vital to the movie, like Laurel and Hardy, they read the alternate language dialog off of phonetically written cue cards! The best remembered bi-lingual movie was Dracula 1931.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    edited December 2020
    Bruce said:
    HONDO said:
    Bruce said:
    There was also a French language version of the 1933 Viktor Und Viktoria, called "Georges et Georgette"


    Interesting that an alternative French version was also made.Thanks for that information Bruce.Both films were German and made by UFA.
    This was pretty common from 1930 to 1933. They would shoot the two (sometimes THREE!) versions simultaneously, usually one in the day and one at night, which saved them a fortune on production costs. Sometimes they had entirely different casts for the versions, and sometimes bi-lingual actors would be able to do both movies. If the actors were vital to the movie, like Laurel and Hardy, they read the alternate language dialog off of phonetically written cue cards! The best remembered bi-lingual movie was Dracula 1931.
    Dracula (1931 Spanish-language film) - Wikipedia

     I knew about Dracula, but I hadn't realised that the Germans had followed the American path in filming an alternative foreign language version of a film.


    Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    jayn_j said:
    OK, then.  #8 is Wild Rose (2018).  Remember the poster and just read the reviews.  I need to search this one out.  Thanks.


    Correct and well worth checking out this film. Jesse Buckley is an Irish actor and singer of great talent. She came to my attention in the 2017 UK BBC mini series The Last Post. Since Wild Rose in 2018 she has appeared on television in Chernobyl and Fargo, while on the big screen in Judy and Misbehaviour, a film I saw only a few days ago in which Jessica again gave a strong performance..
    Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Lets see if I can do better this time.  A wide variety of choices

    jnj6


    jnj7


    jnj8

    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Jay, these are TOO famous! I recognize each right off. I will leave them for younger people who are not such fans of classic musicals.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector


    Bruce said:
    Jay, these are TOO famous! I recognize each right off. I will leave them for younger people who are not such fans of classic musicals.

    What Bruce said.
    Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Ok. Still trying to find a balance.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I think the previous responses have ruined this one.  I guess if I were less aware of musicals, I wouldn't want to chance being called an idiot with a guess.

    I tried to make this round fairly easy since the last one had 2 that stumped folks.  Guess I don't know how to do this properly, so I'll give it a break.

    FWIW the answers are Cabin In The Sky, Damn Yankees and Follow the Fleet.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
                                                                                                                                         

    jayn_j said:
    I think the previous responses have ruined this one.  I guess if I were less aware of musicals, I wouldn't want to chance being called an idiot with a guess.

    I tried to make this round fairly easy since the last one had 2 that stumped folks.  Guess I don't know how to do this properly, so I'll give it a break.

    FWIW the answers are Cabin In The Sky, Damn Yankees and Follow the Fleet.

    Jay I can see that you are a little deflated with what has happened here. With all my years of experience in organising the running of various quizes here on the forum it hasn't always been an easy thing to do at times. My thinking has always been to challenge people with the images that I have presented here, and not to display instantly recognisable images. Of course by doing this the answers are less forthcoming at times, but there is a small but regular  number of members that answer and support my organised quizzes here on the forum that keep me doing this. You are one of these people who reguarly answer correctly, not only with this quiz but with others that I run here as well. Your film musical knowledge, along with some othe film genre knowledge is extensive, and impressive at the same time. This adds to the enjoyment that I derive from continually running the quizzes and receiving correct answers from you.

    I have on a few occasions attempted to cease presenting quizzes here on the forum, but it is an addiction with me I suppose, so I continue on presenting them. As long as I have a handful of supportive regular followers like yourself who contribute to  my quizzes I am happy to continue to soldier on with the presentation of the quizzes. 

    I hope that you will still participate in answering my quizzes in future and will at sometime change your mind and decide to  contribute some more images here of yours on this quiz again. The Gypsy image you previously presented was a beauty by the way.The image really had me racking my brain as to it's origin.
    Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I can make changes to use more obscure films and smaller portions of the image (like your leg quiz).  The downside is that you, Bruce and Ves are pretty much the audience.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 124 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    I'm very much interested too!
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    edited December 2020
     This makes a total of four people confirmed, so surely that's enough  to continue on. Let me inform you four people is about as good as it gets with quiz participation. on the forum
    Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    jayn_j said:
    I can make changes to use more obscure films and smaller portions of the image (like your leg quiz).  The downside is that you, Bruce and Ves are pretty much the audience.
    Jay

    Your earlier clues were maybe too hard, and these were maybe "too easy", but surely there is a "just right" worth shooting for. Please. I would feel so sad if you stopped, either giving or getting answers.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    OK, lets try these.  Easy?  Hard?

    JNJ11


    JNJ12

    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Is JNJ11 All That Jazz?


    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Bruce said:
    Is JNJ11 All That Jazz?


    Correct


    If you google the image, it credits the girl in the photo as Leland Palmer, but it is actually Erzsebet Foldi.  
    All That Jazz was the fictionalized Bob Fosse autobiography.  Reviews were positive, although some said it dragged on and was too intense.  I agree it dragged some at the end, but I would still recommend it.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    edited December 2020


    JNJ12 is The Student Prince ( 1954 ). Edmund Purdom and Ann Blyth appear in the image.

    Originally signed to star in the film was Mario Lanza who walked away from making the film. His pre recorded songs were lip-synced by Purdom in the film.


    Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I saw Student Prince as an afternoon TV MOVIE.  They cut many of the musical numbers to fit in 90 minutes, but I still found it charming.  Didn't see an uncut version until 20 years later.

    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    jayn_j said:
    I think the previous responses have ruined this one.  I guess if I were less aware of musicals, I wouldn't want to chance being called an idiot with a guess.

    I tried to make this round fairly easy since the last one had 2 that stumped folks.  Guess I don't know how to do this properly, so I'll give it a break.

    FWIW the answers are Cabin In The Sky, Damn Yankees and Follow the Fleet.
    I would have struggled.  I knew only 1 of the 3!  For those of musically challenged, we are a bit limited in our ability to answer...same with the War theme quiz.  I am not the biggest fan of those movies so can take me a while to get there.

    Don't be deflated.  We are not all masterminds in all genres...sorry I have been a bit MIA of late (I definately would have participated).  Been a rough month, keeping me very occupied.
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    HONDO said:


    Bruce said:
    Jay, these are TOO famous! I recognize each right off. I will leave them for younger people who are not such fans of classic musicals.

    What Bruce said.

    Shhhh!  The easy ones make those of us who struggle with some genres feel like me are at least on the road to expert! ;)
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    .sorry I have been a bit MIA of late (I definately would have participated).  Been a rough month, keeping me very occupied.
    sorry to hear that.  Been a bad year all around.  I hope it was nothing life shattering.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

    Shhhh!  The easy ones make those of us who struggle with some genres feel like me are at least on the road to expert! ;)

    I am sure that Jay and I will throw in some easier images, along with the challenging ones, just for you in the future.

    I hope things have greatly improved for you at present and things are getting back to normal. :) .
    Lawrence
Sign In or Register to comment.