Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Spot The Poster Errors

124»

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

This poster is certainly a mishmash combination of many images adapted from at least three, but could be up to five, different sources. All will be revealed soon.

Lawrence
    HONDO said:

Now to finalise the above poster problems.

The poster is a re-release poster most likely from either the late 1950s or early 1960s.

I will divide this poster up inro five image sections and comment on each area.

1 ) The images of the planes at the top of the poster are similar to those used on the original release Belgian poster as shown following below.

2 ) The exploding plane is too modern for 1942. The actual plane used in the film on fire is shown from a scene below.

3 ) The pilot lying on the ground that the six pilots are running towards origin is anyones guess as to what inspired using this.

4 ) The six pilots running image is copied exactly the same from an actual photograph which has the following credits.
    ''American pilots of the Flying Tigers ran for their Curtis P-40 fighters, as an air raid sounded in November 1943. Associated Press.'' Charlie earlier had commrnted on this image.

5 ) Is was the large John Wayne image that I had recognised  was from another of his films that had me look into the poster in question further. The Film was Jet Pilot ( 1957 ). An original French poster appears to have been the inspiration for the Belgian artist to use it on The Flying Tigers re-release poster artwork. 

Lawrence
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,835 admin
    Wow!  The Jet Pilot image was a great catch...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    edited February 3

Something rare and something not right anout this The Vulture ( 1966 ) poster. Any thoughts?       

How about this Argentinean Tycoon poster image then?     
    Lawrence
  • RickRick Member Posts: 899 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Interesting to see the australian ratings stamp on The Vulture
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Perhaps the Tycoon image shows Wayne in Cowboy gear.  All the other images from the film show him in business attire or with a baseball cap.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    Rick said:
    Interesting to see the australian ratings stamp on The Vulture

A rare instance where there is proof that an a U.S.A. half -sheet was imported and used in Australia. In this instance this occured in1967. The error here was that a pre 1948 censorship snipe was applied to the poster. The snipe should have had  'Not suitable for children' on it, and not the 'Not suitable for general exhibition one that appears on the poster.
    Lawrence
    jayn_j said:
    Perhaps the Tycoon image shows Wayne in Cowboy gear.  All the other images from the film show him in business attire or with a baseball cap.

The Tycoon Argentinean poster was a re-release and most likely happened in the 1960s. The above 1957 U.S.A. half-sheet of Legend Of The Lost has the exact John Wayne image that was used  by the Argentinean poster artist when designing  the Tycoon re-release poster. With the original distributor RKO Radio now out of business in the 1960s there would have been a strong chance that no original 1940's first release material was made available to the poster artist, so this is what he came up with.
    Lawrence

Our Girl Friday ( 1953 ) daybill. Not actually a mistake here but there is something interesting about this poster. Any  thoughts?
    Lawrence

Our Girl Friday ( 1953 ) original U.K. release poster.

Our Girl Friday aka The Adventures Of Sadie U.S.A. 1955 release poster.

The U.K. and the U.S. posters have the actor's credits arranged exactly in the same billing order.

By the time the film reached Australia and was released here for the first time in 1956 Kenneth More had  become a  much bigger star due to Genevieve and The Deep Blue Sea roles, so the powers to be at BEF Australia elevated his name on the Australian daybill poster from third  to first billing.  
    Lawrence
    edited June 4

This is a scene appearing on a foreigh film poster advertising a U.S.A. film from the 1950s. I don't remember seeing this scene in the film on the two times I viewed it,  which admittedly was some time ago

The film is set during the Korean War and this scene appears to me to be taking place during the Pacific campaign. Was there a flashback scene that I have perhaps forgotten about?

Any ideas about this scene before I reveal the name of the film involved?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

( John )

How about this one then of a daybill advertising the Edgar Wallace title Act Of Murder from 1964? 
    Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Act of Murder...another "repurposed" poster? 
    At least they made an effort to try and blend it in to the background...

Hmmm, perhaps we should start a thread!
    HONDO said:

( John )

How about this one then of a daybill advertising the Edgar Wallace title Act Of Murder from 1964? 

The Date With Disaster ( U. K. 1957 ) Australian daybill was the original source material adapted to present the Act Of Murder daybill released in Australia in 1967.As Chromoprint  weren't printing film posters in the 1960's the printer who was responsible for this alteration is unknown.

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Interesting isn't it.  Then we assume there was a crapload of Date with Disaster daybills sitting somewhere and they thought, hmmm let's just whack a new title on those!
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I'm not so sure about Date with Disaster being the original source. I have had both posters and they both look to have been overprinted.
    John

HONDO said:

This is a scene appearing on a foreigh film poster advertising a U.S.A. film from the 1950s. I don't remember seeing this scene in the film on the two times I viewed it,  which admittedly was some time ago

The film is set during the Korean War and this scene appears to me to be taking place during the Pacific campaign. Was there a flashback scene that I have perhaps forgotten about?

Any ideas about this scene before I reveal the name of the film involved?

( The Scream Of Heroes )

Two Italian film poster printed for The Bridges At Toko-Ri ( 1954 ) with two different titles, one possibly a re-issue, both featuring the scene that looks like it is from the Pacific campaign and not the Korean War, during the time the film is set. Any thoughts or information about my thinking would be appreciated? 

Lawrence
    John said:
    I'm not so sure about Date with Disaster being the original source. I have had both posters and they both look to have been overprinted.
    This is a complicated matter and there is more to this than meets the eye.

After I earlier today had spoken to John privately about this matter and gained his thoughts I decided to look into this poster again. I had always thought that the image supposedly being of American Tom  Drake didn't remotely look like him and that the image certainly looked like Michael Craig. I then checked out Michael Craig's daybills and other posters on eMovieposter.com only  to discover some interesting information.

House Of Secrets ( 1956 ) original U.K. quad film poster and the Date With Disaster daybill.

House Of Secrets original 1957 U.K. one sheet and the Australian daybill.

As both Date With Disaster and House Of Secrets were released in Australia in 1957 three months apart it would appear to me that the daybill originally produced for House Of Secrets was altered to be Date With Disaster for the release in 1957, which was three months before House Of Secrets was released. It also looks like that a new daybill was quickly produced by a different printer for House Of Secrets, this time copying part of the different U.K one sheet artwork this time.

To sum up I believe ( without film proof ) the original House Of Secrets artwork produced in 1957 was never used, then overprinted in 1957  to become Date With Disaster, then again overprinted in 1967 to be Act Of Murder, which was a very minor film indeed.
    Lawrence

To support my statement  of the following -
    HONDO said:

To sum up I believe ( without film proof ) the original House Of Secrets artwork produced in 1957 was never used, then overprinted in 1957  to become Date With Disaster, then again overprinted in 1967 to be Act Of Murder, which was a very minor film indeed.
    To support the statement above, I will mention that the printer credited on the Date With Disaster daybill is Chromoptint who only printed Australian daybills between 1957 and very early 1960.

Chromoprint also appears on the Act Of Murder daybill  and seeing that this film was only released in Australia in 1967 it would then appear the printer of this poster cannot be Chromoprint, but only an unidentified printer who didn't bother to remove the original printer's credit.
    Lawrence

For anyone that I haven't contacted recently do you per chance have a copy of this daybill?

Lawrence