Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Spot The Poster Errors

12346»

Comments

• jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 836 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Since it is a later release, could it be that UA was gone by then?
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

It is as simple as shown below with an original Australian 1963 first release Australian one sheet. There was never a full stop after the word No in the title of the film.  I am unable to locate this additionally placed full stop on any other Dr.No film posters from around the world that I have seen anywhere else, so just an error in the designing and printing process of the one sheet happened here.

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    I have no idea, but what I meant was I see ghosting of another image underneath.
    Rick said:
    is the A covering something?
    It looks like there is something underneath
    I have no idea, but what I meant was I see ghosting of another image underneath.
    It had nothing to do with the ghosting of an image underneath. I should have commented on this earlier.  

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    A-Ha!  I noticed the full stop and was going to mention it but didn't think that was it!
    edited March 9

( John )

The Valley Of Ngumba ( aka Allein im Unwald ) ( Germany 1922 ) no-frills Australian daybill poster. The Nora Swinbourne should have been Nora Swinburne.
    Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
  • RickRick Member Posts: 940 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    May be an image of text that says demons of the mind destroing the weak and belleving ERRR
    The proof reader must have had a day off.

It had to be pointed out to me.  I don't know how many times I have looked at this poster and it never registered!

You must be referring to the David Gulpilil poster credit. For whatever reason he was billed as David Gumpilil in his first screen appearance. It took me a while looking at the poster for it to dawn on me that the surname spelling was different.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:

You must be referring to the David Gulpilil poster credit. For whatever reason he was billed as David Gumpilil in his first screen appearance. It took me a while looking at the poster for it to dawn on me that the surname spelling was different.
    Yes!  I couldn't believe that I had never noticed before :)  Travesty! 

Calling Dr. Kildare ( 1939 ) Australian long daybill. Can you spot the error here?
    Lawrence
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 125 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    No censorship classification?
    edited April 7
    No censorship classification?

This is true, but not what i am seeking the answer for.
    Lawrence
    edited April 7
    Lar(r)aine Day's name is misspelt.
    edited April 8
    theartofmovieposters said:
    Lar(r)aine Day's name is misspelt.
    Yes the correct spelling is Laraine Day. Well done Ves, but wait there is yet more to  be revealed regarding Laraine Day's name being a problem in spelling it correctly in Australia.

Getting it wrong once is bad enough but it happening again a second time a couple of years later with the same mistake made with Mary Names The Day ( aka Dr. Kildare's Wedding Day ) ( 1941) long daybill is unusual to say the least.

The Australian glass slide pictured below though did get the spelling correct.

Would you then believe though that nineteen years later the same mistake happened once more with The Third Voice ( 1960 ) daybill and also the one sheet. What would the odds have been for this happening a third time one has to ponder? 

( John )

Is it possible there could  be other examples of Australian posters with this name spelling error also in existance? 

One last comment is that the three posters were produced by three different printers, with these being Hackett, Marchant and Robert Burton.

Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence

A Message To Garcia ( 1936 ) daybill. Something in my eyes regarding this poster  doesn't seem to be as it was meant to be. Any idea?
    Lawrence

A Message To Garcia ( 1936 ) second printing of an Australian daybill and the U.S.A. original insert poster. 

What I cosider the problem here is that Barbara Stanwyck was a huge star in the 1930s when this film was released. Her billing on the daybill is separated from that of Wallace Beery and her billing,along with John Boles name, is slightly smaller in letter size. On all of the original U.S.A. posters artwork, including the insert appeariing above, the three stars are tightly grouped together and their names all  appear in exactly the same size lettering.
    Lawrence

Freckles ( 1960 ) Australian daybill. One of many Australian film posters where the printer incorrectly left off the name of the distributor.  In this case the distributor being 20th Century Fox.

The poster appears to have been printed for New Zealand distribution. 20th Century Fox was also the distributor over there, so the absence of a distriburor's name wasn't due to their being a different distributor in New Zealand than Australia. It just appears to be a simple case of laziness from the poster artist at Robert Burton.   

Just a mention in case you are wondering about the image of the running man looking a little odd. This is only because he is played as one-handed in the film.
    Lawrence