Skip to content

Questions for Bruce-EMP

Comments

• After a long drought, I was consigned a rare Australian one-sheet! It is part of my avatar.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce I am hoping that with your vast knowledge regarding the history of eMoviieposter.com that you may be able to assist me. 

My question is that to date you have auctioned 51,653 Australian items, and I am wondering how many of there sold items were purchaed from Australian bidders and returned to Australa?  It would be great if this was the case. Would you be able to come up with a ballpark figure?

Finally do American bidders figure in the top two purchasers of Australian posters, particually daybills which amount to 83% of the different sizes auctioned ?
  • HONDO said:

I am wondering how many of there sold items were purchaed from Australian bidders and returned to Australa?  It would be great if this was the case. 
    I actually think it is great that many Australian posters go to overseas buyers. There are a number of collectors outside Australia who have significant collections of Australian posters and it is good that there is an appreciation of our posters.
  • With our new "every four week" auctions, I am busier than ever one week out of four, and this is that week. Plus, we are at the final deadline to consign to our 22nd Halloween Auction (https://www.emovieposter.com/learnmore/?page=consign_major#halloweenconsign) so I don't have the time to research this.

But generally I would say that yes, the majority of Australian posters sell to Australians. And this is in no way limited to Australia! Most French posters sell to Frenchmen (and Frenchwomen, etc). I believe that a high percentage of collectors are nostalgic for the posters they saw when they went to theaters in their youth, and that only a relatively small percentage of collectors move on to collect posters from all countries, and many of those are ones who collect on a specific movie or star.

I will try to return to this at a future time, but I have a very long "to do" list that must get done first!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• That's indeed so much
    John said:
     There are a number of collectors outside Australia who have significant collections of Australian posters
    That bastard's name is Chris

• 110x75 said:
    That's indeed so much
    John said:
     There are a number of collectors outside Australia who have significant collections of Australian posters

... and Bruno!
  • Oh gees.  Thinking about Brunos collection turns me green!
  • 110x75 said:
    That's indeed so much
    John said:

He used to be a bastardo but I have my own Sweet Smell poster now, so he gets a demotion...
  • 110x75 said:
    That's indeed so much
    John said:

He used to be a bastardo but I have my own Sweet Smell poster now, so he gets a demotion...

You're soft, girl :)
  • 110x75 said:
    That's indeed so much
    John said:

Haha - oooops.

Argentinean posters are also great lithos - maybe I will start on them next!  ;)
  • 110x75 said:
    That's indeed so much
    John said:

Happy with the demotion!   :D

• Argentinean posters are also great lithos - maybe I will start on them next!  ;)
    They are indeed...

• 110x75 said:

Argentinean posters are also great lithos - maybe I will start on them next!  ;)
    They are indeed...

Who knew Argentina imported the BEST Aussie artists?!
  • We do what needs to be done to achieve greatness

• I was surprised to see that the Australian daybill of Carry On Cabby ( 1963 ) recently sold for $385 at your auctions. The only one that you had auctioned previously had sold in 2011 for $174.
    I wonder if the high price paid for this poster is due to the scarcity of this title, or perhaps a combination of this along with the growing popularity and collectability of Carry On film posters these days? Your thoughts?
  • There is an old stock market expression, when people ask "Why did the stock market rise a lot today?". Some people launch into explanations about various kinds of good news that came out that caused the rise, but a more precise answer is "There were more buyers than sellers that day".

Similarly, I think you can look too deeply for answers as to why posters for the Carry On... films sell for what they do, when actually it is more a case of there being two (or three or four) people who value them that highly.

A similar situation exists with posters and lobby cards from Columbia comedy shorts of the 1930s and  1940s. The vast majority of them sell for very little, even though they are incredibly rare. But those from the Three Stooges shorts sell for fortunes. Are the Stooges THAT much better than their fellow comedians, or is it just that the top Stooge collectors have far more spendable money?

Or look at Star Wars vs Star Trek. Star Wars posters go for giant money, Star Trek almost nothing. Is Star Wars vastly superior to Star Trek, or is it just the relative disposable income of their fans?

Sometimes one or two giant collectors in an area can make it seem like something is far more "collectible" than it actually is.

• Can my old friend, Bruce, be a more incredible guy?!  I sure enjoyed seeing you in West Plains, MO, back at the end of September, Bruce!!!  Your operation is just phenomenal and the grand tour you gave me was a highlight of my annual trip heading out to Oklahoma.  Thanks for the great lunch and camaraderie!  I also enjoyed meeting so many of your fantastic staff.  Here's a picture of Bruce and me that his professional photography staff took where all the posters are photographed for the auctions.  Should we make it an annual event?!  Okie

• Great pic - thanks for sharing!
  • Any time! It was a real joy for me to spend time with you. 

• Double poster trouble! Great pic!
  • In 2000, "everybody" told me I was crazy when I moved my 1.5 million dollar a year auction business to eBay!

In 2007, "everybody" told me I was crazy when I moved my 2 million dollar a year auction business OFF of eBay to a brand new auction on my own site!

In 2020, "everybody" told me I was crazy when I cut my auctions in half, going from 145,000 auctions a year to 72,000 a year, but that caused us to INCREASE our annual sales to 6 million dollars that year.

In 2021, "everybody" again told me I was crazy when I again cut my auctions, going from 72,000 a year to around 45,000.

I WISH I could tell you that we broke our record yet again THIS year, once again proving the naysayers wrong.

I can't tell you that because we didn't break our record, we positively SMASHED it, exceeding it by $590,000!

See https://www.emovieposter.com/sales/postersales.php for a chart of our sales growth year by year.

And what will 2022 bring? Wait and see!

•  You nailed it in 2021, Bruce! Enjoyed the ride with you on a few goodies! Okie
  • And the top price in the recent auction - an 8 page pressbook! Surely some sort of record for such an item.
  •                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Are you aware Bruce of the spectacular price increase over your previous sales of this Australian daybill poster that the Zombie Flesh Eaters ( titled Zombie in the U.S.A.) just realised in your last completed  auction? WOW! $365.

You had earlier auctioned five copies of this daybill with $80 being the highest price realised, and Heritage sold one many years ago for only $30.   This poster tops all the sales of this title now that you have auctioned  previously from the U.S.A. and other countries. You certainly had some keen bidders that were willing to bid big money  in an attempt to secure this poster.
  • Lawrence, Zombie posters of all sorts are hotter than a pistol right now! In fact, the strongest, and fastest rising segment of the hobby is 1970s and 1980s horror/sci-fi.

A few months ago, a Halloween 2 one-sheet (linenbacked) sold for $250, and a lot of people said it was a $20 poster. But NOW it is solidly a multi hundred dollar poster unbacked, and so many others keep going up and up and up.

Meanwhile, a lot of posters from melodramas of the 1940s and 1950s are selling for prices the same as 20 or 30 years ago!

What will the future hold? Thoughts?

• Reasons are that these 70/80s horror flicks were the last real excitement of a time gone by. You were a teenager watching Halloween or Freddy and it made you remember how safe you were at home after the movie. It's not the being scared - it's the yearning for safety post scare. Snuggling into your bed with mom/dad watching over you and knowing you were safe. I've gone back and purchased Tales from the Darkside, Are you afraid of the Dark, Tales from the Crypt and have been watching these...

To the future....

Westerns will come back in fashion spearheaded by Yellowstone and 1883 - they will remake some of the classics...  Will they remake the Dollars trilogy once Eastwood passes on? I don't think they do until he is gone but after his death his movies will be watched by some new blood and the ideas will spin...  Edgy westerns... 

Marvel movie will go way of westerns as they continue to fracture into side stories until no one can keep up or cares anymore.  Sell it all now! Comics will crash within the next 5 years after interest rates rise and people figure out that the value is only in golden-age and first appearances. I've already stopped buying comics.

Star wars will continue to impress as generation Y begs for more...  Buy  

People will want more space with spacex and whatt not - looking towards 50-60s sci-fi will remain strong. I've thought of getting into this. Some of the 80s-90s films may start to suprise up like Apollo 13 or Independence Day... I've noticed an uptick in Stargate prices. Will old Star Trek posters work upward?

Else, Who knows... 
  • What's old is new!  Look at the young ladies wearing high waisted pants again, eh?!  Just need a Pop Culture exposure and bam!

Okie
  • So I'm watching an old episode of American Pickers and a guy comes in with movie posters to sell. Danielle gets on the phone to their poster expert 'Bruce' for some advice...

Surely not just a coincidence?  B) 
  • Pancho said:
    So I'm watching an old episode of American Pickers and a guy comes in with movie posters to sell. Danielle gets on the phone to their poster expert 'Bruce' for some advice...

Surely not just a coincidence?  B) 
    Makes sense, but actually it was Bruce Carteron, a dealer who has been around as long as I have, and landed at Heritage a number of years ago.

• Do you ever bid on items in your auctions or do you have enough in your own collection now?

Peter