Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Questions for Bruce-EMP

18910111214»

Comments

• PanchoPancho Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I honestly don't know how to feel that the Mondo Jaws poster sold for more than any original one sheet Bruce has ever auctioned. $600 more than a VG-F unfolded example of Roger Kastel's iconic art, described (in part) "...very few are completely unfolded", "Surely this is one of the most desirable 1970s posters there is", "from (a) consignor who worked at Universal in 1975".

Versus

"2013 art print", "numbered 2/525"

As I said, I don't know how to feel!
    I guess movie poster collecting and Mondo poster collecting aren't the same thing.

One is a historical, ephemeral, nostalgic hobby and the other is a modern, manufactured scarcity, niche investment.
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Pancho said:

One is a historical, ephemeral, nostalgic hobby and the other is a modern, manufactured scarcity, niche investment.
    ^
    This
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,944 admin
    Pancho said:

^
    This
    Perfect...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Pancho said:
    I honestly don't know how to feel that the Mondo Jaws poster sold for more than any original one sheet Bruce has ever auctioned.
    It's better for one's mental health not to think about certain things.
    Some people are paying twice what that Jaws Mondo sold for, for a couple of adidas sneakers designed by Pharrell Williams. If you start thinking too much about it, you'll end up wishing human extintion... :)

• dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 130 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    I'm happy buying classic posters and lobby cards from Bruce. Count me out of the limited edition stuff.
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,675 admin
    Charlie said:
    Bruce said:
    I see that the people here are NOT Mondo people. :)

So how do you react to this?:

979 buyers

A total of $732,660

:o 
    Bruce H. - champion card player, stud comic book dealer, movie poster/accessories dealer of the new millennia, emerging fine art print dealer and enabler...

It was the beginning of the end. These were the best of times and worst of times. Bitcoin had hit an all time high, the rich were more rich than they had ever been. The poor struggling to find the dream of America... But in a little town in Missouri, EMP was peddling the new crack of the entertainment collectibles world - the fine art movie print. It all started when the movie theater industry was on it’s last leg - the future not bright. Off in the distance there stood Bruce, a beacon of hope... How do I get my crack to the market, the owner of Alamo Draft House whispered under his breath... I’ve already sold most of it for far less than the flipper market that I created (knowing one day he could swing three quarters of a million by shorting sales and keeping some copies for himself). That guy who just missed out on the early Moss Star Wars sighs and thinks about suicide - mumbling “#$*^%*!” under his breath... “I could have made thousands!”

Meanwhile in the far off lands of Texas, Argentina, Australia, and Canada, countless hours of research and love mounted like a pile of dirty clothes.

The emperor has new clothes now - I wonder how long it will take for the laughing to start. Only time will tell. Sell those special threads as quick as you can... 
    Well said my friend. I love visiting emovie, it's like going to the library of movie posters from the comfort of my home. Well done Bruce!!! 
    Laminated vintage daybills...my heart bleeds. :'(
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Laminated vintage daybills...my heart bleeds. :'(
    Do you think ANY of those exist unlaminated? And I have seen 40 year old laminated posters, and they look EXACTLY the same, which is more than I can say for non-laminated ones!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Bruce said:

Do you think ANY of those exist unlaminated? And I have seen 40 year old laminated posters, and they look EXACTLY the same, which is more than I can say for non-laminated ones!
    They certainly do exist unlaminated but are very scarce indeed. 
  • RickRick Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I've got a couple of those laminated daybills in non-laminated form.
    So basically they are common as dirt?

But can you use YOUR unlaminated daybills as placemats in a pinch at a picnic? :)
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    At the start of 2020 I made a momentous decision. I would cut the number of auctions my company (eMoviePoster.com) runs in HALF, guaranteeing it would also cut our sales in half.

But I saw it as a worthwhile trade-off, because it meant I would work half as much, and could take LOTS of vacations!

I trust you see where this is heading! The pandemic hit, and there went my vacations. And then everyone started consigning TONS of great stuff (maybe they feared I was about to retire?).

So I started working harder and harder processing all that stuff, and now the year is over, and it is fair to say I NEVER worked so hard in my entire life.

And I DID run half as many auctions, but my sales not only did NOT go down by half, but instead we set a new all-time yearly sales record (see the chart HEREhttps://www.emovieposter.com/sales/postersales.php).

So NEXT year I want to cut the number of auctions in half yet again, in the hopes I can set another new record. Or not!
    edited December 2020
    Bruce said:
    At the start of 2020 I made a momentous decision. I would cut the number of auctions my company (eMoviePoster.com) runs in HALF, guaranteeing it would also cut our sales in half....

...And then everyone started consigning TONS of great stuff (maybe they feared I was about to retire?)....

...So NEXT year I want to cut the number of auctions in half yet again, in the hopes I can set another new record. Or not!
    Bruce,
    Yes, I feared you were about to retire (I think you flagged it as a possibility when you went to bi-weekly auctions), that's why I decided now was the time to cull my collection (which was mainly a retirement fund anyway).

I'm happy with all that I've consigned and the great prices you've managed to get for me. I've also weakened and kept buying, but now I can get those prime items I've always coveted and not been able to afford. I'm much happier with a smaller collection of items I care about than a large collection that lives in boxes and poster tubes. 

I'm sure whatever decision you make about auctions going forward will be the right one...and I promise not to send any more crap that goes into bulk lot auctions. I'm embarrassed when I see my items in those auctions, they're going into the bin from now on!

I'm sure whatever decision you make about auctions going forward will be the right one...and I promise not to send any more crap that goes into bulk lot auctions. I'm embarrassed when I see my items in those auctions, they're going into the bin from now on!
    On bulk lots, I am fine with them as long as the items are SOMEWHAT interesting, and as long as the bulk lots reasonably are worth $20 each.

I am sure you have noticed the last few bulk lots auctions have done MUCH better, as they have less total junk, and as more $5 to $15 items have started showing up in them.

Just no old People magazines or stuff like that. Sometimes there ARE items that absolutely no one wants!
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    Bruce said:

On bulk lots, I am fine with them as long as the items are SOMEWHAT interesting, and as long as the bulk lots reasonably are worth $20 each.

I am sure you have noticed the last few bulk lots auctions have done MUCH better, as they have less total junk, and as more $5 to $15 items have started showing up in them.

Just no old People magazines or stuff like that. Sometimes there ARE items that absolutely no one wants!

An intersting occurrence in recenr times is that a fair number of daybill titles included in some of the bulk lots are rare, and to the best of my knowledge made their their first appearance in these auctions. I am wondering if this fact has perhaps contributed in some small way to recent Australian poster bulk lot auctions performing much better?
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    Bruce said:

An intersting occurrence in recenr times is that a fair number of daybill titles included in some of the bulk lots are rare, and to the best of my knowledge made their their first appearance in these auctions. I am wondering if this fact has perhaps contributed in some small way to recent Australian poster bulk lot auctions performing much better?
    Absolutely! And it is not just daybills, but all the other types of bulk lots too. With a lot more interesting items there, far more people are checking them ALL out, which has raised prices overall. But since the contents are better, maybe the higher prices are deserved.
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 853 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Bruce said:
    HONDO said:
    Bruce said:

Absolutely! And it is not just daybills, but all the other types of bulk lots too. With a lot more interesting items there, far more people are checking them ALL out, which has raised prices overall. But since the contents are better, maybe the higher prices are deserved.
    Kind like 'yeah, you can have the juke box, but you gotta take the pool table too'  ?

Actually, it makes sense as long as there is some common aspect in the lot. If it is random, it just seems a way for the less desirable stuff hit dumpsters.  Still, don't have a better answer, just hate to see history destroyed
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

The best and only way to start to collect and accumulate a collection, if one has only has limited resourses, would have to be with the bulk lots purchases surely.

I agree with Jay that the destroying of any film posters isn't desireable. Bulk lots must have to go a long way in helping to accomplish  less posters being discarded.

A point to consider is that some posters included in the bulk lots, and talking Australian daybills here, are sometimes extremely rare, if not desirable. To discard them perhaps one is eliminating the only existing copies of daybills that may possibly never surface again, with some history then lost.

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited January 19
    But a collector can only retain so much paper...trust me I know.
    I am starting to drown in stuff I really don't want...

I am loathe to throw out anything either, but sometime even after offering it up for free with no takers, you really have no alternative.  Shipping costs out of Australia are just ridiculous which puts off alot of collectors.

I am loathe to throw out anything either, but sometime even after offering it up for free with no takers, you really have no alternative.  Shipping costs out of Australia are just ridiculous which puts off alot of collectors.
    Shipping costs have SO hurt parts of this hobby.

It is simple math. There are many posters I used to sell to Europeans for $5 or $10. In 2000, shipping was $14, and if they bundled five posters into one package, they might pay $35 plus $14, or $49 for all 5, which was not so bad.

NOW, shipping for the very same package is often $45, so that same package is $81. People see that and quit bidding on those posters, and it is ENTIRELY the fault of shipping.

It is much worse for things like linenbacked French one-panels. The shipping has skyrocketed, due to adding the dimensions of the tube to the weight. Again, the shipping is ENTIRELY what is depressing the prices.

And sadly, it looks like shipping is only going to keep rising. :(
    Bruce said:

Shipping costs have SO hurt parts of this hobby...

...And sadly, it looks like shipping is only going to keep rising. :(
    That's one reason why I get my posters sent to my nephew who lives in Dallas, so that I can pick them up when I go to visit...unfortunately that sort of backfired on me last year so he currently has a stash of quite expensive posters waiting for me to collect them. It's also to avoid paying import duty which can be horrendous. I don't think I'll be seeing any of those purchases until the end of this year, early next year at this rate.  :(
    Pay and hold and bundling are really the only ways around over the top postage costs. That being said, I personally treat postage as a necessary evil. Sometimes I have to walk away from a deal, and sometimes I grit my teeth and cough up the dough. I can see why some people wouldn't want to pay more than the price of the posters to get them, though. Is it a totally crazy idea to have hubs in other countries to be receiving spots for local distribution?
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Pancho said:
     Is it a totally crazy idea to have hubs in other countries to be receiving spots for local distribution?

This is definitely what I do with a network of collectors...I have friends in the US, UK and Canada which have happily accepted packages from their countries until we get a nice stack worth the cost of shipping to send.
    And I am happy to reciprocate from Australia too...It really is the only way to go with international sales these days.
    No pay and hold option from HA is one of the main reasons the maximum I am willing to bid is significantly lower than I would likely go.
    We are getting a LOT of people who have their purchases shipped with one of their friends.

I don't know that we have any where a bunch of people have all their stuff shipped together, but we would do that as well. Anything to lower the cost of shipping.
  • TobTob Member Posts: 33 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Bruce said:
    We are getting a LOT of people who have their purchases shipped with one of their friends.

I don't know that we have any where a bunch of people have all their stuff shipped together, but we would do that as well. Anything to lower the cost of shipping.
    A friend of mine is a professional shipper in the UK - he handles shipping for lots of Mondo artists when they sell their Artist Proof copies (receives a bulk lot of prints, then re-ships individual orders). 

I think it might perhaps be complex with the items you auction, but if it ever gets to the stage where it might be a viable help for your UK/EU customers, please let me know and I'll pass on his contact details so you can have a chat. 
    Tob said:
    A friend of mine is a professional shipper in the UK - he handles shipping for lots of Mondo artists when they sell their Artist Proof copies (receives a bulk lot of prints, then re-ships individual orders). 

I think it might perhaps be complex with the items you auction, but if it ever gets to the stage where it might be a viable help for your UK/EU customers, please let me know and I'll pass on his contact details so you can have a chat. 
    Yes, the fact that we sell so many different types and sizes really complicates things! But thanks much for the offer.

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT! Our new every four week auctions start in slightly over two months, on July 13th!

We are switching from bi-weekly auctions (after the last one ends on July 11),to our all-new ONCE EVERY FOUR WEEK AUCTIONS, which we feel certain will prove to be FAR BETTER than the old bi-weekly auctions, just as the bi-weekly auctions have proved to be a giant improvement over the earlier weekly ones! 

Note that even though the auctions start FOUR weeks apart, they run for THREE weeks each! This will give us one week after each set of auctions close to get all the items packed, invoiced and shipped, and then, one week later, the new auctions will begin, and close 3 weeks later, and then the process starts all over again!

WHY AM I MAKING THIS CHANGE? Several reasons!

1) After 31 years of auctioning (and 1,766,115 unique auctions!), I have found that is it great to "slow down the pace" of our auctions. Yes, it helped a LOT when we changed to bi-weekly auctions from weekly auctions sixteen months ago (mostly it has given us a chance to almost completely catch up on all old consignments), but preparing 3,500 or so auctions every two weeks is still stressful, and I feel that now having auctions every four weeks will give us the perfect balance (not too often, not too infrequent).

2) When we changed to bi-weekly auctions from weekly auctions, I quickly saw a GIGANTIC added benefit to having far fewer auctions. I could FINALLY enforce my rule that single sale auction items have a minimum realistic retail value of $20 each (not that we stopped auctioning sub-$20 items, but rather that they are now in bulk lots instead of in single auctions. GREATLY REDUCING THE NUMBER OF SUB-$20 ITEMS HAS MADE OUR REGULAR AUCTIONS FAR MORE INTERESTING TO ALL THE BIDDERS (and it has had the great added side benefit of making the bulk lots FAR more interesting as well (as more and more of them contain interesting $10 to $20 items)! Now, with having even fewer auctions every four weeks, I will finally be able to COMPLETELY enforce my "single sale auction items have a minimum realistic retail value of $20 each" rule, which will make all our auctions so much better than before!

3) I suspect many of you bidders are still getting worn on from having to check 999 or more auctions three times every OTHER WEEK, and I strongly suspect you will not mind having more of a break between auctions (just as so many people have told me they prefer the bi-weekly auctions over the old weekly ones, for that same reason; how did any of us keep checking new auctions every two or three days for decades?).

SO THAT IS HOW I ARRIVED AT THE NEW EVERY FOUR WEEKLY AUCTIONS! Here are the pluses:

1) As stated above, this gives you bidders far more "breathing room" between auctions than you had with our weekly auctions, and also with our bi-weekly auctions. We won't have ANY auctions closing three out of four weeks! Imagine how happy your spouses, children, or significant others will be to learn that they can once again do something with you on three out of four Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays!
        Remember that back in 1990, when the modern era of this hobby began with my very first Christie's auction, most collectors and dealers had only TWO major events a year to look forward to, the annual Christie's auction in December, and the annual Cinevent on Memorial Day. Not only did collectors and dealers manage to deal with this, but they also mostly traveled to both! So having 13 weeks of three auctions each every year (that you don't have to leave home for) is still an awful LOT more than that was!

2) They allow me to catch up on many projects that I have never had time to do, both at work and at home. That is a big plus for me! The number one goal is to get every single old consignment auctioned, so that we are SOLELY auctioning what has just arrived! Those of you who consign will send your consignments THIS month, and they will be auctioned the very NEXT month, and you will be paid the NEXT month after that! So a total of 60 to 90 days from you sending your consignments to you receiving payment for ALL you sent!

3) They allow me to take off a week here and there, without it affecting eMoviePoster.com at all, all year round if I want, because we will have 13 sets of auctions each year, four weeks apart. I have five children, and four now live away from home, and I want the freedom to visit them more, and to take trips all over the world!

Is there ANY downside to this? I don't think there will be any, other than that everyone will need a little time to get used to the new schedule, but I really feel that once everyone adjusts, they will all say, "I wished you had done this years ago"!

Here is the best part of it, one you might not immediately think of. You might say "I don't want to have to wait four weeks between auctions", but actually, you may well find you are waiting shorter times rather than longer times! What wizardry is that? It is because under our bi-weekly schedule, we only auctioned each type of item every two or three months. So if you like say, window cards, you might only see them at auction every three months or so.
        BUT NOW, THERE WILL BE WINDOW CARDS EVERY FOUR WEEKS! That is because each of the "every four week" auctions will contain ALL of each size that we were consigned the previous month! Now of course this means there might be 50 windows cards this time, and 200 next time, and then 100 the time after that, but you will see EVERY type and size of item every four weeks!

And here is the biggest change, which I alluded to above. With far fewer auctions, we will no longer have the time to auction low value items individually. So starting in July, ABSOLUTELY all items we are consigned that realistically sell for under $20 each will be placed in bulk lots (or returned to consignors). And each bulk lot itself also has to realistically sell for $20 each.
        So if someone consigns ten $2 items to us, we will make a single bulk lot out of them, even if they are all different kinds of items. And if they send twenty $5 items, we would at most make them into five bulk lots, but more likely just one or two.  But of course we will also offer to return the items to that person. BUT ABSOLUTELY ALL ITEMS THAT ARE SENT TO US THAT REALISTICALLY SELL FOR $20 OR MORE WILL CONTINUE TO BE AUCTIONED INDIVIDUALLY!

So please remember that we absolutely WON'T be stopping auctioning low priced items! It is just that we will be auctioning them ONLY in bulk lots, and NOT in single item auctions. And since I am hoping to do 999 bulk lots every other month (instead of our current 500-600), we can also actually auction more sub-$20 items a year than we did when we had bi-weekly or weekly auctions, except they will be in bulk lots.

And one final change. We will have FIVE Major Auctions in 2020, as opposed to the SEVEN we had last year (that was fun, and led to our first $6 million dollar year, but unbelievably hectic!). AND YOU WILL NOTICE FROM THE ABOVE SCHEDULE THAT THE MAJOR AUCTIONS ARE NOW HELD ON ONE DAY, RATHER THAN SPREAD OVER THREE AUCTIONS. This means that more than ever, we will reserve the major auctions for truly rare and desirable items (which will both make them even stronger than before, and also make our non-major auctions that much stronger as well)!

I will expand on all of the above over the coming weeks. I know this news seems like a big change (and in some ways it is, and some ways it isn't) but it won't start for over two months. Just as I was certain the switch to bi-weekly auctions was a big plus for eMoviePoster.com, I am just as certain the switch to every four week auctions is just as big a plus! Take some time and think about it, and if you have thoughts you want to share, please email me, because, as you know, I have always run this business by listening to the feedback I get from our bidders, our buyers, our consignors, and my employees!

Hi Bruce,

Looking forward to the new format - seeing more regular auctions of all sizes sounds like  a great strategy!

One query - as you start auctioning more bulk lots, is there any way you can still capture title information for later research? I know many of us often use your archives to look up titles.
    Sorry Pancho, just too much work. Most of the bulk lot auctions have 20,000 to 30,000 items and most are $1 each or under.

The new ones should have 50,000 or so. WAY too much work!