Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Questions for Bruce-EMP

Comments

• dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 130 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Charlie said:
    I've been thinking more about this. And the prices at your auction are the most absurd thing I have ever seen. People are bidding nearly $4,000 for a poster having a circulation count of over 500. But if you think about the merging of fine art and film - Andy Warhol's MM sell close to $100K, Elizabeth Taylor over $50K... So who knows?  If these artist turn out to be more than a one trick pony these might end up being worth a lot more.  I think the best option was to have gotten them when they came out. :)
    Charlie, I have to agree. The only one of those posters that I've ever been interested in was the Star Wars trilogy, tried at the time to get them but it was near impossible. The others are nice posters for fans but I don't really collect limited editions, there's doesn't ever appear to be much resale value in them (although Bruce's auction might prove me wrong), they're only good if you like the artwork. The only limited editions I have I purchased because of the artwork, not for any resale value.
    I also think Bruce will suddenly have a rush of people consigning Mondo prints for auctions.
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    For me a major issue is that I don’t trust the alleged limited print run #s.  

Since these were created as commercial items and artificially made “scarce” (allegedly) from the beginning there just seems to be too many opportunities for an endless supply to actually exist - now that the “scarcity” is accepted amongst collectors who chase such things. 

Maybe I am just being pessimistic but to me any product that is created with this end goal in mind just lends itself to corruption and manipulation (especially with the serious $ being thrown around in Bruce’s auction!)
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 853 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Mondo is not my cup of tea, but it does seem to attract attention beyond our niche.  I agree with Charlie in that some of the frenzy feeds on itself, and not the rarity or significance.  It doesn't hurt that the Mondos tend to be more attractive designs than the actual movie paper.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • darolodarolo Member Posts: 62 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Just recently I Googled Mondo and Drafthouse to find out what these things were. Perhaps they might be the Bitcoin of poster collecting, the prices at least have a similar meteoric rise. I mostly appreciate daybills and litho posters from a certain era, so for me they don't appeal as a collectable.
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Thanks to all of you for your honest feedback!

It is interesting to note that we have signed up a staggering 7,906 brand-new bidders because of this! If only a tiny percentage of them go on to purchase ANY "non-Mondo" posters, it will surely have an effect on the hobby. 

Time will tell!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 853 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Seems to me that these sort of 'collectables' pop up periodically.  Beanie babies, pewter figurines, decorative plates, Hallmark ornaments, commemorative coins, etc.

The common point is that they are billed as appreciating assets and are produced in quantities to be below demand while maximizing profits for the guy that sells them.  Early examples skyrocket in value because people want to get in on the frenzy, but sooner or later people get bored and move on to the next get rich quick 'collectable'

What is better about the Mondo posters is that some effort has been put into having good artwork, and I think that has been the key to having the longer than average life for this frenzy.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Bruce said:
    Thanks to all of you for your honest feedback!

It is interesting to note that we have signed up a staggering 7,906 brand-new bidders because of this! If only a tiny percentage of them go on to purchase ANY "non-Mondo" posters, it will surely have an effect on the hobby. 

Time will tell!
    Yes, it could well bring renewed interest in original posters. I'm in two minds about them. The artwork on some is spectacular while others are less than impressive. I guess there is nothing to stop many other artists from coming up with limited editions of movie posters so not sure how that will affect prices.
    edited December 2020
    Looks like there is a lot of interest in the auction. I'm having trouble accessing the site at the moment.
    Post edited by John on
    THE MANY THOUSANDS OF MONDO BIDDERS CRASHED OUR SITE, JUST AS THE AUCTIONS STARTED TO CLOSE.

Of course we very much apologize to everyone affected. It is noted on our site that if the auctions are not accessible to most bidders when they are closing, we will extend the affected auctions, and that is what we are doing, as follows:
    1) ALL of the auctions will be extended by 24 hours
    2) The auctions will now close 6 seconds apart, instead of 3, so they will end between 3 PM CST and 7 PM CST on Monday
    3) NONE of the auctions have actually closed, regardless of what your monitor says until they are reset.
    This is because no one could access any of the auctions while they were closing, so the ones that appeared to close will also be extended to Monday.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR BEING UNDERSTANDING DURING THIS EXTRAORDINARY CHAIN OF EVENTS.

So, everyone who WAS the high bidder when the site crashed is STILL the high bidder, at exactly that price. And each of the auctions are once again "live" and anyone can bid on any of the 2,346 auctions.

Here is what everyone can do to help us deal with this:
    1) As I wrote in my email to you Sunday morning, there is no telling if this many additional thousands of people will also put "strain" on the bidding site on Monday (as they did Sunday), and cause slowdowns, or people to have trouble logging in, or staying logged on. If possible, please consider eliminating these risks by going to the auctions that interest you in advance of 3 PM CST MONDAY (when they all start to close), and placing your final bids BEFORE that time.

2) While we very much DO want you to go to the site NOW (and all the way up until 3 PM Monday CST). PLEASE help us (and Tim League) by NOT going on the site Monday between 3 PM CST and 7 PM CST, UNLESS you are actually going to bid on specific auctions. Please DON'T go on just "to see what is happening"! As soon as the last auction closes we will have a complete results gallery, and you can review the results then, WITHOUT putting extra "stress" on the site.

Of course, this is far from ideal, but it is the best and most fair solution to a very difficult situation. If you had intended to be by your computer while the auctions were ending Sunday, and CAN'T be there Monday when they close, at least you have many hours between now and then to go to the auctions and place your final bids then instead of while they close.

And if you were the high bidder when the auction(s) "seemed" to close, know that you may still win the auction(s), but you also may now be outbid. But you almost surely would have been outbid anyway, had the site not crashed. WE COULD NOT "PAUSE" THOSE AUCTIONS BECAUSE THE SITE WAS COMPLETELY FROZEN AT THAT TIME.

We very much apologize to everyone for this most unfortunate chain of events. We have run 1,728,000 auctions (including million dollar auctions) without this every happening. We simply did not reckon with the amazing power of Mondo, and its many thousands of fans, and we are doing the best we can to be fair to everyone.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    Sorry to hear this Bruce. Must be a nightmare for you but hopefully everyone will understand that these things happen.
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,944 admin
    Yikes... With the emotion that runs with that crowd I'll say a prayer for you and your team...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Mondo peeps probably thought Bruce’s auctions ran like a typical mondo release 😁😁😁
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• RickRick Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Wow, amazing interest. Of the top selling items, only really Blues Brothers appeals to me.
  • 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    You know something is very wrong with the world when you receive an email from Bruce telling you NOT to enter his site...

:) 

On a serious note, congrats to Bruce on the auction! Lots of potential future traffic on emovie, a chance for Mondo collectors to get pieces they need, and a good bunch of cash for the Alamo Drafthouse guys who were hitted hard by this damn situation. Looks like a win-win-win situation situation for me, and I don't even like prints!
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited December 2020
    Whatcha think?
    http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=5890910

I know it is super rare  and Hitchcock to boot, but um...

Just have to shift through those Everyone's magazines and find a full pic!  ;)
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Whatcha think?
    http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=5890910

I'll pay $200 for a full image!

Whatcha think?

The missing part adds to the mistery. It's Hitchcock after all! :)
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 130 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Bruce said:
    Whatcha think?

I've been going through Everyone's all afternoon from just before the release date, no luck!
    edited December 2020
    Bruce said:
    Whatcha think?

I've been going through Everyone's all afternoon from just before the release date, no luck!
    Keep trying! Even if you don't find it, it is surely LOTS of fun!
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    Whatcha think?

Just have to shift through those Everyone's magazines and find a full pic!  ; 
    Bruce said:
    dede said:
    Keep trying! Even if you don't find it, it is surely LOTS of fun!

I don't believe that you will find anything there, but you will certainly locate some other great things while you are searching.

Addressing the subject of Mondo now. Mind boggling response to the auction, but  pesonally I find this artwork of absotutely no interest whatsoever. Original theatreical release artwork does it for me everytime.
    Lawrence
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    @Bruce it would be interesting to know the age distribution of the winning bidders at the Mondo auction.  Im thinking late 20s early 30s? 
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    As I've said in the past about the Mondo prints, collectors of prints are not buying them because they are movie posters...some perhaps, but the vast majority would be no.  It is just a different type of collectable.  I think I read somewhere bruce mentioned he got over 7000 new bidders...if movie poster nuts like us were interested in these, then that number clearly would not be so high.  I still dont see what the fuss is all about?  I am sure several other collectors would look at us and say "You paid what for that piece of ...?"

Now as for the Hitchcock, I'm after guess-timates...where do you think it will end?
    I wonder how many of these new mondo bidders will actually pay?
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Now as for the Hitchcock, I'm after guess-timates...where do you think it will end?
    It is really hard to say...so I am going to take the easy way out and not guess ;)

But if I were after something on this title I would hold out for the daybill since at least one complete example exists!
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

edited December 2020
    I see that the people here are NOT Mondo people. :)

So how do you react to this?:

979 buyers

A total of $732,660

:o 
    Post edited by Bruce on
  • darolodarolo Member Posts: 62 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Congratulations, both figures are very impressive and at the top end more than what S2 Prints have sold for. 
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,944 admin
    Bruce said:
    I see that the people here are NOT Mondo people. :)

So how do you react to this?:

979 buyers

A total of $732,660

:o 
    Bruce H. - champion card player, stud comic book dealer, movie poster/accessories dealer of the new millennia, emerging fine art print dealer and enabler...

It was the beginning of the end. These were the best of times and worst of times. Bitcoin had hit an all time high, the rich were more rich than they had ever been. The poor struggling to find the dream of America... But in a little town in Missouri, EMP was peddling the new crack of the entertainment collectibles world - the fine art movie print. It all started when the movie theater industry was on it’s last leg - the future not bright. Off in the distance there stood Bruce, a beacon of hope... How do I get my crack to the market, the owner of Alamo Draft House whispered under his breath... I’ve already sold most of it for far less than the flipper market that I created (knowing one day he could swing three quarters of a million by shorting sales and keeping some copies for himself). That guy who just missed out on the early Moss Star Wars sighs and thinks about suicide - mumbling “#$*^%*!” under his breath... “I could have made thousands!”

Meanwhile in the far off lands of Texas, Argentina, Australia, and Canada, countless hours of research and love mounted like a pile of dirty clothes.

The emperor has new clothes now - I wonder how long it will take for the laughing to start. Only time will tell. Sell those special threads as quick as you can... 
    edited December 2020
    Oh and congrats! Like I said I am glad it was your auction for this...