Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Questions for Bruce-EMP

167891012»

Comments

• BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    It will be interesting to see if the times put a dent in prices.
    Of course, still able to bid from the safety of home, and knowing that the items are yours and you just have to wait for shipment is fine, at least for me, and I suspect many others.
    I am noticing a bit of a delay in postage in general, local and international, so not sure I would want stuff sent straight away anyhow...
     Ves

We DO ship right away if anyone wants, but more and more people are asking us to hold the orders. They KNOW they are safe here (and we put all high dollar orders in our walk-in vault).
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • LexLex Member Posts: 26 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    edited April 11
    Hi Bruce,
    how would compare different condition issues on posters? For example, is a non-factory folds on poster worse than, say, a few tears? Or staple holes in corners? Or do you think stapled corners are better than one small tear. How would you rank these from better to worse and how severe one issue must be to outrank another? 10 pinholes to one small tear? Large tear vs. several folds?
    I have, for example, two posters. They are a little smaller than a half-sheet. One has been folded twice but otherwise is nice, the other one is unfolded but it has 5-6 staple holes and one corner has slight wear. I have a hard time to choose which would be better.
    Son of the Suns
    Lex said:
    Hi Bruce,
    how would compare different condition issues on posters? For example, is a non-factory folds on poster worse than, say, a few tears? Or staple holes in corners? Or do you think stapled corners are better than one small tear. How would you rank these from better to worse and how severe one issue must be to outrank another? 10 pinholes to one small tear? Large tear vs. several folds?
    I have, for example, two posters. They are a little smaller than a half-sheet. One has been folded twice but otherwise is nice, the other one is unfolded but it has 5-6 staple holes and one corner has slight wear. I have a hard time to choose which would be better.
    These are good questions, but obviously I would have to write a book to completely answer them!

But this IS an important subject, and I would like to share some thoughts on it:

1) To me (I will say this to start out, but bear in mind that EVERYTHING I write here is "in my opinion"!), I feel you need to first consider what defects are somewhat "permanent" and what are somewhat "temporary"). The temporary ones are things like minor stains, smudges, or surface dirt that could be removed with barely leaving a trace. Sometimes pieces of tape or glued on paper snipes are temporary, because they come off with little trace, and other times they bond with the paper beneath and the area under it can only be re-painted. The same can be true of marker or pen writing. So unfortunately, there is no quick easy chart to refer to (subtract one point for each piece of tape, etc).

All of the above can be summed up by asking "How easily restorable are its defects?". If the answer is "very restorable", AND if the poster is valuable enough to warrant restoration, then those defects are not nearly as significant as when the answer is "not very restorable at all" (as in noticeable paper loss within the image, especially within faces).

2) WHERE defects are is a giant difference. For example, the This Gun For Hire one-sheet has a great huge image of Veronica Lake. The top crossfold falls in her forehead, and maybe it is something about the World War II paper used, but most examples I have seen have a hole at that top crossfold, and it is usually quite noticeable after restoration, unless her entire forehead is repainted, which is just as bad or worse. The same is almost always true when bored teens drew pen mustaches on stars' upper lips.

3) For me, border defects are MUCH less important than image defects. I don't mind pinholes about the edges near as much as I mind paper loss in the image, especially in an area people's eyes normally travel to. Even if all the borders are trimmed off, that is not that bad to me (especially if only blank paper was trimmed).

4) To me, the worst defect there is is major fading, because there is nothing that can be done for the poster short of repainting almost the entire poster. What is weird is that some heavily faded posters can still be displayed and enjoyed, while others look terrible. Part of this stems from people's faces sometimes get so washed out that they look terrible, and also sometimes fading can be very uneven (part fades and another part does not). Again, this HAS to be on a case by case basis.

5) I think many collectors do not put enough weight on folded vs unfolded. If it is a poster that is normally ONLY found folded, then of course this is not an issue. But when it is something (like most one-sheets of the past 30 years) that might be found either way, I then feel you are foolish to not seek out an unfolded version whenever possible. The same is true of extra folds. Many Italian one- and two-panels are found folded an extra time, and a few are not, and I feel the ones without the extra folds should be bumped up in grading for having far fewer folds.

6) In grading, I use a "sliding" scale, that takes into account the age of the poster and the type of paper it is printed on. So for example, Mexican posters from the 1950s and 1960s, which were printed on a very cheap paper that darkens and becomes fragile easily, are graded in a way that takes this into account. And one-sheets of the past 30 years, which can almost always be found in unfolded great condition are graded in a way that takes this into account as well. 

So you might see a Mexican poster graded "very good" where had it been a 1990s one-sheet, it might have received a "good" grade! Some people have the idea there needs to be a rigid grading scale that applies equally to all posters (as with comic books or baseball cards) but I think that is silly, because under it, almost all Mexican posters would be graded "good" or under, and almost all 1990s one-sheets would be graded "very good to fine", and what's the value in that?

Of course, a ton more can be written about this, and I will try to find more time to do so. In the meantime I urge all of you to add your thoughts to the above, and of course to ask any follow-up questions you might have!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,471 admin
    Great stuff, Bruce. Thanks for taking the time to be so detailed. I pretty much knew you had a comparable scale which took into account poster “type” but hadn’t thought about those defects, which are more “permanent” or easily “fixable”. 
  • 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Bruce said:
    The same is almost always true when bored teens drew pen mustaches on stars' upper lips.

Our teen were very bored.
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    #winner
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• PanchoPancho Member Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Hi Bruce!

Now that the auctions on eMovie run longer, I was curious as to what the logistics would be about regularly posting some preview pictures of the upcoming auction (as you do now with the major auctions)?

Perhaps not a full preview, but just a taster of a few of the rare/unusual/popular titles?
    Pancho, with the auctions two weeks long, I feel that is a long enough preview as it is!

On the major auctions, I post the preview items way in advance because it sometimes gets me a great consignment because they saw something they want to bid on, and the way they raise enough money to bid on is through consigning.

Thanks for the idea though! I will file it in the back of my mind.
  • LexLex Member Posts: 26 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    edited April 16
    Bruce said:
    Of course, a ton more can be written about this, and I will try to find more time to do so. In the meantime I urge all of you to add your thoughts to the above, and of course to ask any follow-up questions you might have!

Thank you for the answer! So based on what you said, you'd rather not have folds (even if they wouldn't be white lines but just folds) than any amount of holes or tears on the sides. I was a bit leaning towards that myself but it's just hard to decide since folds don't actually break the paper but holes and tears do. But then again, the folds combined can be over 1 metre across the image compared to a few 1mm pinholes... Maybe I just needed someone to tell me what I already knew, I don't know. :)
    Son of the Suns
    Lex said:
    Bruce said:

Thank you for the answer! So based on what you said, you'd rather not have folds (even if they wouldn't be white lines but just folds) than any amount of holes or tears on the sides. I was a bit leaning towards that myself but it's just hard to decide since folds don't actually break the paper but holes and tears do. But then again, the folds combined can be over 1 metre across the image compared to a few 1mm pinholes... Maybe I just needed someone to tell me what I already knew, I don't know. :)
    You are exaggerating! Not "you'd rather not have folds (even if they wouldn't be white lines but just folds) than any amount of holes or tears on the sides". That's extreme.

But yes, a pinhole in each blank corner is a VERY minor defect to me. A tape stain in each blank corner is less to me than a 1/8" circular hole in someone's face

And yes, folds ARE distracting, and when you can I DO think you should look to find an unfolded example.

And I do think you already know what makes sense!
    edited August 2
    Bruce is awesome. EMP is awesome. Bruce makes a lot of money from us poster junkies. Go see Bruce.

VMPF is still a dealer ad free space.

Love ya Bruce... -Charlie
    Post edited by Charlie on
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 48 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Congratulations Bruce! Honesty pays off.
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    edited August 1
     Certainly a great achievement to be proud of Bruce

Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Congratulations Bruce.

I have also found that sales have dramatically increased during the pandemic even though I have temporarily stopped shipping to most countries internationally. There seem to be a lot more collectors in Australia at the moment and 70s / 80s titles are very popular.
    John

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,858 admin
    I think the new auction format has done really well for you. For me however... I haven’t figured the ending pattern in my head, so I never know when they end.  No spontaneous buys. My wife thanks you. It has to be something I really want that I am willing to note an ending date and time.

Else, congrats on the achievement!
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    Charlie, I really think it is largely psychological in your case.  You likely secretly want to cut back on buying, and you subconsciously "forget", helping that happen.

But if you are sure you are really forgetting, here is a great way to remember. On the days auctions close, I send you an email stating that, and also post on Facebook, MoPo, and AllPosterForum (I WOULD post here, but it is not allowed).

And if you want, email me your cel number and I will personally text you on the days auctions close, to remind you! :smile:
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,858 admin
    You are as wise as they come... I’m starting to fit that mold you talk about - from buying everything I can to being more selective...

I also started reading comic books again during the quarantine and have been buying more of those. Great price for you and your seller on that Star Wars 1....

You know that text idea is a good one... Yeah like “EMP auctions will start ending in 30 minutes...”  But only if it was some computer deal. I appreciate the offer but I know you are way too busy...
    I am thinking I could program sending texts, IF there was enough interest. Should I pursue it?
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Bruce, I have a question for you. When you list bulk lots of movie posters, I'm curious as to how much time you must have to spend on photographing and organising the lots. The one sheets must be particularly time consuming to photograph considering that they often don't sell for a lot. Will you continue to run auctions with bulk lots in the future?
    John

• MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,590 admin
    Bruce said:
    I am thinking I could program sending texts, IF there was enough interest. Should I pursue it?
    I think it could be worth it. There has been numerous times where I forgot the end time of an auction and have missed out on posters I've wanted. You could start a "poll" thread to find out how much interest is out there.
    Bruce said:
    Oh man would it! If I got a text and link about 15 minutes before auctions started ending, I would definitely hit it and browse for sure!

I think 15 minutes is enough time to browse. 10 minutes might even be better because I could sort by time left and work my way back.

It would engage me even when I hadn’t browsed. I think it is a big win for you if you do it.

Here is a text the Heritage Photo Auction sends me. I don’t buy movie posters from Heritage. I have had great luck with the photo department though.

This worked twice for Heritage. I was able to join the live bidding and win the photos I wanted.

John said:
    Bruce, I have a question for you. When you list bulk lots of movie posters, I'm curious as to how much time you must have to spend on photographing and organising the lots. The one sheets must be particularly time consuming to photograph considering that they often don't sell for a lot. Will you continue to run auctions with bulk lots in the future?
    As I have become stricter and stricter about enforcing the "single sale items must be realistically $20 retail" rule, that means the bulk lots contain more and more $10 and $15 posters, and has upped the results on them.

But to answer your question, I am still working through a backlog of low value material that was dealer and store inventory, that was dropped off by giant trucks! I anticipate getting through all that by the end of the year, at the absolute latest, at which point I very much hope to scale back the bulk lot auctions to once every 3 months.

But what I most want is to quit selling absolute junk, things like old People magazines! More and more, when people send stuff like that (or much lesser condition newer posters) I tell the people it is a massive waste of time to auction it at all (as you point out), at which point they invariably say it is fine to throw it out.

As they say, while sometimes "one man's trash is another man's treasure", there are LOTS of other times when "one man's trash is every other man's trash"!

I already accept so much stuff for auction that NO other auction would, but I have to draw the line somewhere!