Skip to content

What Happened To The Australian Daybills?

Comments

• Here is another image …

• Nice! Looks to be the same copy that was sold at auction given similar stain patterns (my image)?
  • edited October 2018

Swing Time ( 1936 ). U.S.A. poster and the Norman McMurray original Australian daybill artwork.  An Australian Simmons full colour RKO long daybill image would look great. 

The Most Dangerous Game ( 1932 ). Original U.S. one sheet and an Australian film advertisement from Everyones. Another missing Simmons RKO long daybill hopefully still existing for this title. 

Two uncredited daybill images that I recently came across. I worked out the daybill image on the left is for the film Confession ( 1937 ). You will see the image is very similar to the U.S.A. insert pictured above.The image on the right remains unknown though. The Kay Francis daybill  should look excellent in colour.

The Big Parade ( 1925 ) promotion outside a Bundaberg, Qld, cinema ca. 1928. Certainly looks like a couple of
    Australian daybills on display for this classic film.  

Had these completed and sitting in the  draft folder awaiting to send  for some time now. It now appears the right time to include them here so I have room to thank both Sven and John for the Strategic Air Command Daybill images. I have always had a feeling an image would one day surface, and now lo and behold we have.

• Very nice Sven, however to be honest the image of the bomber and jet trails isn't the most imaginative one they could have gone with.

• Swing Time and Shall We Dance daybill images. What about images of the other seven RKO and the one MGM films the great team made together ? Does anyone have any daybill images, in any form, of these eight missing films?
  • I know of two daybills surfacing for Treasure of the Sierra Madre. The one below was for sale by a U.S. dealer a few years back.

• darolo said:
    I know of two daybills surfacing for Treasure of the Sierra Madre. The one below was for sale by a U.S. dealer a few years back.

Brilliant. A long time coming but finally here. Thanks for posting.
  • Thanks for sharing.  Great to see it finally
  • HONDO said:

Swing Time ( 1936 ). U.S.A. poster and the Norman McMurray original Australian daybill artwork.  An Australian Simmons full colour RKO long daybill image would look great. 

The Most Dangerous Game ( 1932 ). Original U.S. one sheet and an Australian film advertisement from Everyones. Another missing Simmons RKO long daybill hopefully still existing for this title. 

Two uncredited daybill images that I recently came across. I worked out the daybill image on the left is for the film Confession ( 1937 ). You will see the image is very similar to the U.S.A. insert pictured above.The image on the right remains unknown though. The Kay Francis daybill  should look excellent in colour.

The Big Parade ( 1925 ) promotion outside a Bundaberg, Qld, cinema ca. 1928. Certainly looks like a couple of
    Australian daybills on display for this classic film.  

Had these completed and sitting in the  draft folder awaiting to send  for some time now. It now appears the right time to include them here so I have room to thank both Sven and John for the Strategic Air Command Daybill images. I have always had a feeling an image would one day surface, and now lo and behold we have.

Nice!
  • Finally had a chance to watch the excellent (!) Rififi - 1955 Jules Dassin. Was it ever released in Australia?  
  • Finally had a chance to watch the excellent (!) Rififi - 1955 Jules Dassin. Was it ever released in Australia?  
    Yes this classic French film was released in Australia in 1956 by foreign film importer Robert Kapferer Productions.

Also released in 1956 by Robert Kapferer Productions was another French classic The Fiends which I thoroughly recommend seeking out.

Robert Kapferer releases were mainly screened in Sydney and Melbourne, although Canberra, ACT and Newcastle N.S.W. did screen some of Kapferer's product.

As I have never sighted a daybill for any of the numerous releases Kapferer released in Australia in the 1940's onwards, I am tending to think daybills were not possibly produced for their product.

• Thanks Lawrence much appreciated!

• Fire Down Below  ( 1957 ) Australian one sheet and daybill. The one sheet image has been viewable for many years, but an image of the daybill I have never sighted until now. A rare Rita Hayworth daybill has finally turned up on Bruce's site as part of a lot of 28 folded Australian daybills. I thought I would share the image with any Rita Hayworth fans out there.

• From gumtree (although not hard to figure out who posted the image ;) )

• Borrowed from a Facebook post...

Killer's Kiss daybill (discussed above):

Image may contain 1 person text
  • I saw that one too!
  • HONDO said:

Calamity Jane ( 1953 )  where are the daybills and other Australian posters ?

Thanks again to a friend for this barebones duotone Calamity Jane daybill image, but where is the original full colour, sure to be W.E.Smith, daybill?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HONDO said:

Shake Hands With The Devil ( 1959 ) -  where are the daybills?

And again to the same friend here is the original Australian daybill image of Shake Hands With The Devil.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kill or Be Killed ( 1950 ), Underworld, U.S.A. ( 1961 ) and  Intent To Kill ( 1958 ) original U.S.A. insert posters.

No Australian daybill images currently available to the best of my knowledge. Does anyone have the posters or the images to share ?

There is an Australian one sheet image available of Kill Or Be Killed as seen below. Being from F. Cunninghame the one sheet artwork leaves a lot to be desired.

A note that years ago on eBay an Underworld, U.S.A. daybill was up for sale , but the image displayed at the time has long since vanished. I have never sighted one since then.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HONDO said:

Dr. Cyclops ( aka Doctor Cyclops ) ( 1940 ). Nice U.S. artwork and an Australian newspaper advertisement from the Australian 1941 release has me thinking what the Australian Richardson daybill may have looked like.

Thanks to Chris for previously posting this original Australian Richardson Studio long datbill. Now we do know what the daybill looks like and most likely is much better than the image would indicate.

Stagecoach ( 1939 ) pressbook image of original U.S.A. insert poster. Australian newspaper advertisement placed in Adelaide SA for a re-release in May 22 1951. Not only am I eager to sight an original 1939 long daybill image of Stagecoach, but now also a 1950's re-release daybill hopefully will turn up one day as well.

• Ben-Hur ( 1925 ) 1931 U.S.A. re-release one sheet film poster.

A 1932 Australian newspaper advertisement for the Ben-Hur sound re-release.

One has to wonder what a daybill of the sound re-release of Ben-Hur  would look like. Being a long daybill from that period, one would have to believe that it is an excellent looking poster. A chance of a daybill copy turning up is remote, but even more unlikely is a copy of the original 1925 version of Ben-Hur ever surfacing. A copy shown below of the original U.S. insert from 1925 may or may not indicate what the Australian daybill would have looked like.

• edited May 2019
    Lawrence, John shared the Ben-Hur in the horizontal daybills a thread:

• edited May 2019
    CSM_2_Point_0 said:
    Lawrence, John shared the Ben-Hur in the horizontal daybills a thread:

Thanks for reminding of that Chris. Here is the image.

For some reason I must have been thinking this image was a banner. Even so, this horizontal daybill surely wasn't the only daybill printed for this major film? There would have had to have been a normal size daybill with full credits appearing on it, one has to believe

• Public Enemy's Wife ( 1936  U.S.A. )  original poster artwork designs and an Australian newspaper advertisement from 1936.

These images, one would have to think, will give an idea what an Australian long daybill would  possibly look like. The Australian advertisement  image is the same one as on the U.S. pressbook insert, which is often a good guide as to what the daybill would resemble. The missing Australian daybill looks like it may be promising
  • HONDO said:

THE JOLSON STORY ( 1946 ). A nice original Australian one sheet, but where is the original daybill ? Plenty of re-release daybills around but the original would be welcomed here.

The original daybill image has surfaced at last.
  • HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

THE JOLSON STORY ( 1946 ). A nice original Australian one sheet, but where is the original daybill ? Plenty of re-release daybills around but the original would be welcomed here.

The original daybill image has surfaced at last.
    That's mine I just consigned by the looks of it.

Peter
  • HONDO said:

Riff-Raff ( 1947 ) U.S.A. insert and an Australian newspaper advertisement for the film, which was re-titled The Amazing Mr. Hammer when it was released in Australia. I would love to see the missing Simmons full bleed daybill image, even with the less than exciting title appearing on it.

( Wil  )

At last an image of the Australian daybill has surfaced in New Zealand which I am pleased to be able to share it here.
  • Those RKO daybills sure are perty!  
  •  HONDO said:

Original release The Shakedown ( 1960) U.K.quad.

The Shakedown re-titled as The Naked Mirror Italian locandina.

The Naked Mirror ( aka The Shakedown  ) ( 1960  ) was released in Australia in 1962 by BEF. Possibly some censorship problems here delayed the release here as well as The Informers. I am aware there is a daybill existing for this title but I am unable to access an image.

A daybill image has turned up originating from John.  The Suitable only for adults censorship rating could support my theory that some censorship problems were the reason for the delayed release in Australia. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HONDO said:

Red River ( 1948 ) U.S.A. inserts - two styles and a 1950's duotone re-release Australian daybill poster.

Australian Newspaper advertisement from 1949 placed for the first release in Australia. A classic film yet no Australian first release, most likely W.E. Smith daybill, or any other poster sizes.

Researching something else I happened to stumble across this Australian daybill of Red River. W.E. Smith as I had  suspected but surprisingly  no larger image of John Wayne appears on the daybill. Image from Craig.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Highway Dragnet ( 1954 ) original U.S.A. insert poster. A great looking poster that should appeal to film noir / crime collectors. Released in Australia in 1957. This Allied Artist film title apparently had been overlooked by United Artists for distributing in Australia.

National Films of N.S.W. which was a a very small Australian film distributor acquired the Australian film rights and released the film in 1957. There hopefully is an Australian daybill poster existing somewhere, but if it turns up the artwiork most likely won't be the best, judging by the quality of the  limited number of National Films of N.S.W. daybill designsthat I have sighted, which is a pity. A small number of 1950s National Films Of Australia daybill examples below will give you an idea of the quality of their daybill posters artwork..

A Bachelor In Paris, Tillie's Punctured Romance and Metropolis daybills.

• Red River is very nice

• Bad Day At Black Rock ( 1955 ) original U.S.A. insert poster. Previously mentioned here on this forum thread as having a missing daybill image..

The original U.S. one sheet and the Australian one sheet that used similar images.

A recently discovered Australian  glass slide originating from Wil's website,

It now appears that the only two  Australian images of Bad Day ar Black Rock available at present have surfaced in New Zealand, but nothing yet to my knowlegge has surfaced in Australia.

If the originally designed and printed daybill poster resembles the insert it should be an attractive looking poster one has to think. A great film with brilliant use of the early Cinemascope format.
  • edited February 2020

Morning Glory ( 1933 ). Everyone's magazine images of two styles of daybills produced for the first Australian release. One can only ponder what the actual full colour posters would have looked like. Pre **** RKO logo.

Quality Street ( 1937 ) IMDB trimmed image. Early usage of the **** RKO logo

For Katherine Hepburn fans that may not have seen the images, a view of what original Australian daybills looked like for two classic 1930's Katherine Hepburn films.
  • HONDO said:
    I am 90% sure an Aussie one sheet for Man They Could Not Hang was listed on eBay for a very long time.  The seller may have been memphis777.  It looked basically just like the US poster pictured here - but, not having any foresight into this thread's eventual existence, I never saved a pic ;)

I concur with Chris.  I am sure I have seen an aussie one sheet SOMEWHERE, but like Chris...who the feck knew to keep a copy of the image!

Hopefully one day the image will turn up for us to see.

Another Karloff film title then a Lugosi to follow it. After that would you like to see obscure PRC, Monogram and other obscure poverty row titles or some classic film titles, such as in the genre of musicals and film noir ?

It's back...