Skip to content

What Happened To The Australian Daybills?

Comments

• edited March 2020
    HONDO said:
    I am 90% sure an Aussie one sheet for Man They Could Not Hang was listed on eBay for a very long time.  The seller may have been memphis777.  It looked basically just like the US poster pictured here - but, not having any foresight into this thread's eventual existence, I never saved a pic ;)

I concur with Chris.  I am sure I have seen an aussie one sheet SOMEWHERE, but like Chris...who the feck knew to keep a copy of the image!

Hopefully one day the image will turn up for us to see.

Another Karloff film title then a Lugosi to follow it. After that would you like to see obscure PRC, Monogram and other obscure poverty row titles or some classic film titles, such as in the genre of musicals and film noir ?

It's back...

•   Impressive design. if an australian daybill ever surfaces it should be a beauty.   

• HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

Killer's Kiss ( 1955 ) directed by Stanley Kubrick  &  Odds Against Tomorrow ( 1959 ) directed by Robert Wise.How rare would the very low budget Killer's Kiss have to be? Odds Against Tomorrow is a great film noir movie, filmed in black and white on location in New York City. I am not surprised a daybill for Killer's Kiss hasn't turned up, but I thought Odds Against Tomorrow daybills  have to be out there somewhere.

Odds Against Tomorrow daybill image recently revealed by Sven on another thread. Gloria Grahame pictured on the insert but Shelly winters appears on the daybill. Both posters effective for this great film. .

Both the Australian daybill and Australian one sheet of Killer's Kiss. The O.S. is from Ves, but not sure where the daybill image originated from though.

Slowly but surely the daybill images are turning up, but there are still a lot not sighted yet, including some very known titles from the 1950s.
  • HONDO said:

Jack The Ripper ( 1959 ) U.S.A. insert & Valley Of The Dragons ( 1961 ) U.S.A. insert. Another two films that I would like to find daybills images of.

A daybill image of Valley Of The Dragons ( 1961 ) has surfaced on Bruce's website. Another missing daybill title found that now can be crossed off the missing daybill list,

Jack The Ripper is surely still lurking out there somewhere, and that one has to hopeful that it will imerge into the light one day.

• Desert Victory ( 1943 ). A British documentary film. U.S.A. release one sheet and insert posters.

A poster of the film uncredited from the image source, but I am certain it is from the U.K. release, possibly from the film makers themselves. Australian newspaper advertisement stating the film as a GBD release. As the film was 60 minutes in length and released by a major distributor in Gaumont - British- Dominions / 20th Century Fox in Australia there certainly should have been a daybill and other poster size material printed. One would certainly hope this piece of World War 11 poster history will turn up in one form or another in the future.  
  • edited June 2020

The Great St. Louis Bank Robbery ( 1959 ) U.S.A. insert. The film stars Steve McQueen just prior to finding fame in The Magnificent Seven ( 1960 ). Should be a desirable daybill somewhere out there hopefully to surface soon.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Luxury Liner ( 1933 ). This is what a copy of a colourful Paramount long daybill will look like if one every turns up. Trimmed at the top here for display purposes.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Popeye The Sailot Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves ( 1937 ). Originally in 2016 on another thread I had included about a half of the above image which was all that was located at that time, and thinking then that the poster may have been of an Australian one sheet.

Now with this newly located full image we can now see the poster is of an Australian long daybill with a similar design used on the above Swedish film poster. The daybill being a Richardson Studio design has me thinking it would be a nice colourful poster hopefully to turn up one day.
  • Hi Lawrence, here's a pic of Great St Louis Bank Robbery

• edited June 2020

Thanks for the The Great St. Louis Bank Robbery image Sven. You seem to be good at finding very rare absent images. I remember you displayed a missing Three Crooked Men daybill image on another thread that I was after, not too long ago.

Was the '' Never before in Police annals! Never before in Police history! tagline, that appeared on the original U.S.A. insert poster left off the australian daybill simply due to space limitations or was it possibly due to Australian censorship concerns one has to wonder? The remainder of the daybill poster's images and credits are almost the same as they appear on the insert.

An interesting point is that there isn't a printer's credit appearing on the daybill. Around the very late 1950s and the early 1960s for around three years United Artists had a lot of their posters printed by uncredited  printer/s and the quality of the artwork varied somewhat.

Two examples shown above with varying results are Separate Tables ( good ) and The Magnificent Seven ( terrible ). 

• Is anyone aware of the existance of a full colour daybill image of the Garbo Film Anna  Karenina ( 1935 ) ?
  • HONDO said:

Is anyone aware of the existance of a full colour daybill image of the Garbo Film Anna  Karenina ( 1935 ) ?
    As I haven't heard from anyone stating that they have seen a daybill, I would have to believe then that this backs up my research that has come up empty in trying to locate an original full colour daybill image of Anna Karenina ( 1935 ).

( Trove )

The above is a photographed copy of the original daybill alowing us to see what the design looks like. Also appearing above is an original  Australian herald showing similar style artwork.
  • Oh that would be pretty.  AMUSU seemed to have saved quite a few stunners over the years!

• Oh that would be pretty.  AMUSU seemed to have saved quite a few stunners over the years!

The Lives Of A Bengaal Lancer  ( 1935 ). A Richardson Studios long daybill poster that I would love to see the original full colour version of. Working to obtain this objective at the present time, but the odds don't appear to be in my favour for this to happen, but we'll see.

I have three more black and white images from most likely unseen or very little seen daybill posters that originated from the Amusu Theatre for less known films as well.  I will include them here at some time or another.

Some missing  1930's classic Australian made film posters and most likely to be the daybill images of, ( or close enough to ), coming up next though.
  • HONDO said:

Shake Hands With The Devil ( 1959 ), Bad Day At Black Rock ( 1955 ) & A Bullet For Joey ( 1955 ) U.S.A. inserts.Three more titles and  I will again ask the question -  where are the daybills?

No daybill sightings (yet!) but very happy to grab the one sheet:

• Google drive giving me fits again!   :s

• HONDO said:

Two very nice U.S. inserts of Trial ( 1955 ) and White Heat ( 1949 ), that I would love to see Australian daybill images of.

A  since found Whiie Heat daybill image has been displayed previously on this thread. Now a Trial daybill has turned up which is similar to the original U.S.A. 3 sheet design, and not the U.S. insert pictured earlier.

Australian daybill  ( courtesy of  X Marks The Shop )  and the U.S. 3 sheet  from Bruce.

HONDO said:

Tarzan's Hidden Jungle ( 1955 ) U.S.A. insert and an Australian glass side, which is the only Australian advertising material I have been able to find. No daybill sighted or a one sheet, 3 sheeter of press sheet either. This was the last Tarzan film released by RKO Radio and the first to star Gordon Scott as Tarzan.Curious to know why Australian paper on this title is super rare. 

The following Australian daybill and  one sheet images have previouly appeared on the Tarzan RKO Series ( 1943- 1955 ) Australian Daybills thread. I have now added them here to finalise this title.

Both above daybill and one sheet images images courtesy of Wil.

• Across The Pacific ( 1942 ) extremely rare daybill image found and thanks go to Chris. Is it yours chris?
  • Unfortunately not despite my best efforts - but about to be someone's in a week or so :|
  • Unfortunately not despite my best efforts - but about to be someone's in a week or so :|
    Keep hoping that onother copy may turn up one day, along with the remaining six yet unsited Bogie 1940's missing daybill images.

The images of these still missing six tiitles, for anyone that may be interested, can be located on my August 18, 2018 entry on this thread.

• HONDO said:

Desert Victory ( 1943 ). A British documentary film. U.S.A. release one sheet and insert posters.

A poster of the film uncredited from the image source, but I am certain it is from the U.K. release, possibly from the film makers themselves. Australian newspaper advertisement stating the film as a GBD release. As the film was 60 minutes in length and released by a major distributor in Gaumont - British- Dominions / 20th Century Fox in Australia there certainly should have been a daybill and other poster size material printed. One would certainly hope this piece of World War 11 poster history will turn up in one form or another in the future.  
     (  Albion Antique Auction Centre )

Recently auctioned uninspiring incomplete daybill image.
  • HONDO said:
    King Of The Zombies ( 1941 ). Released in Australia in 1941. The rare Monogram titles keep rolling along. I have never sighted a daybill or any Australian posters in any size or format for this film. The film again would have been released by BEF with the printer most likely being W.E.Smith.
     ( Albion Antique Auction Centre )

The daybill above was recently auctioned.
  • edited November 2021

( Wil )

The previously displayed incomplete daybill poster image of Desert Victory, and now thanks to Wil the complete daybill image of the poster. The scene at the bottom of the daybill certainly makes the poster more interesting now.
  • HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

Jack The Ripper ( 1959 ) U.S.A. insert & Valley Of The Dragons ( 1961 ) U.S.A. insert. Another two films that I would like to find daybills images of.

A daybill image of Valley Of The Dragons ( 1961 ) has surfaced on Bruce's website. Another missing daybill title found that now can be crossed off the missing daybill list,

Jack The Ripper is surely still lurking out there somewhere, and that one has to hopeful that it will imerge into the light one day.

Finally the Australian daybill image of Jack The Ripper is here, seen alongside the U.S.A, original insert poster. Although uncredited the daybill is from Blake Films and produced in their no frills style used during that period of time. I believe the Australia daybill now resides in Australia.
  • If it did I’d like to go visit it  B)
  • Rare poster, unless the seller has 5 more copies they're not letting on about!
  • Matt said:

Just watched The Big Country (1958) Peck, Heston, Ives. Some big names.

Where's the daybill

Here it is. I originally missed it when it surfaced later in the year 2018 on Bruce's Auctions. This was after you had posted your question in January of that year. You most likely have viewed the image by now.

• I believe this is mine now.
  • HONDO said:

The Oklahoma Kid daybill from 1939 and now a glass lantern slide used in Australia on the first release of the film  that I thought was worth seeing, Any Australian material from Humphrey Bogart's 1930's films is extremely rare. Unlike the daybill Bogie's image appears on the slide.

I thought that I would display this The Oklahoma Kid post 1948 reissue daybill. A more modern 1940's image of Bogie appears on this poster. The following image is what his image should have looked like.