Skip to content

Questions for Bruce-EMP

Comments

• I think there clearly must have been a "warehouse find" of post-WWII Belgian posters, because so many exist, and lots in really nice condition. But there ARE a surprising number of pre-WWII posters (and even the small ones from during WWII), more so than other European countries.

That could be the result of lots of theaters (as Chris suggests) or maybe there were poster dealers there far earlier than other European countries. Or maybe there was a large poster exchange there that had a huge number of posters and it was bought by a dealer.

I would love to find out more myself!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• HONDO said:

Hello Bruce I have been wondering if you have any thoughts on why such a small country such as Belgium ( 11,562,747 people or there abouts ) have so many posters in the marketplace? They appear 8th in posters sold order as listed by countries on your website. They are way in advance of much larger populated coutries such as Russia, Spain and Mexico.
    Another good question is why so many countries seem to have NO old posters! We all know there are a zillion Argentinean posters (perhaps another warehouse find) but where are the posters from all the other South American countries? They all had theaters. so did they all use Argentinean posters? 

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:
    HONDO said:

Hello Bruce I have been wondering if you have any thoughts on why such a small country such as Belgium ( 11,562,747 people or there abouts ) have so many posters in the marketplace? They appear 8th in posters sold order as listed by countries on your website. They are way in advance of much larger populated coutries such as Russia, Spain and Mexico.
    Another good question is why so many countries seem to have NO old posters! We all know there are a zillion Argentinean posters (perhaps another warehouse find) but where are the posters from all the other South American countries? They all had theaters. so did they all use Argentinean posters?

Argentina led the spanish speaking film industry until the end of WWII, when Mexico took its place. It is quite possible that some latin american countries used argentinean posters (I have bought argentinean one sheets from the 30s from a seller in Peru for example) but the main reason of why there are so many local posters in comparison to other neighbour countries is that we had an enormous population AND an enormous amount of theaters. I believe between the 20s/50s the rate of theaters by habitant was larger than in most european countries.
    The great amount of argentinean posters in the market probably started in the 80s, when there was a massive closing of theaters (due to the video rental market and cable tv). A lot of historical theaters and distribution companies sold their poster warehouses by bulk, for pennies. A lot of actual local poster dealers got their stock in that era, and some foreign (Like Benito) too.
  • Besides Mexico, Brasil and Argentina, the film industry in other south american countries took a lot more time to develop (for political and economical reasons mostly). Most countries have a few early film experiencies in the silent period up to the 50s, but it wasn't until the 60s that local film industries began to take form.
    I am pretty sure that some caribbean countries with a close political relation to the US like Puerto Rico and Panama used US posters in their theaters.
  •                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        I noticed this Vertigo ( 1958 ) poster image recently. I assume it is A U.S.A.commercial poster and I haven't seen this particulatr image used on a poster previously. I am unable to read two lots of printed information on the bottom right hand sibe and also bottom right of the poster, which may have helped me in identirying the poster origins. Your thoughts please Bruce.
  • It looks Indian to me, Lawrence. And likely a re-release.

• Thanks Bruce ror your thoughts. The ''A Universal Classic'' had dated it for me as to being a re-release. 
  • edited January 2020

Bruce said:
    It looks Indian to me, Lawrence. And likely a re-release.
    HONDO said:

Thanks Bruce ror your thoughts. The ''A Universal Classic'' had dated it for me as to being a re-release. 
    Since you mentioned India Bruce I have delved into it further and confirmed indeed it is an Indian poster. It is a three sheet poster with one source crediting it as  40'' x 78'' in size and another source 40'' x 77.5''. The original VIstaVision credit and the original Paramount distributor credit being missing  certainly would make it a re-release poster.
  • edited January 2020
    HONDO said:

Bruce said:
    It looks Indian to me, Lawrence. And likely a re-release.
    HONDO said:

Thanks Bruce ror your thoughts. The ''A Universal Classic'' had dated it for me as to being a re-release. 
    Since you mentioned India Bruce I have delved into it further and confirmed indeed it is an Indian poster. It is a three sheet poster with one source crediting it as  40'' x 78'' in size and another source 40'' x 77.5''. The original VIstaVision credit and the original Paramount distributor credit being missing  certainly would make it a re-release poster.
    Yes, definitely Indian and very difficult to date. I have that one in my collection.

About 25 years ago, some Indian collectibles dealers got hold of John Kisch's Almanac which had the addresses and contact details of many dealers including mine. I started getting packages of Indian posters unsolicited, with a note inside asking for money. Emails weren't an option in those days so it was very difficult to get into contact with the people who sent the posters. I ended up sending a money order for what I thought they were worth and included a note asking them to stop sending them to me. Lots of other dealers also received many packages out of the blue. 

Most of the posters seem to be referred to as "60s releases". That could well be true but it really is guesswork. They were very poor quality printings on very thin paper. 

• Vertigo (film)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In October 1983, Rear Window and Vertigo were the first two films re-released by Hitchcock's estate after his death. These two films and three others â€“ The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956), The Trouble with Harry (1955), and Rope (1948) â€“ had been kept out of distribution by Hitchcock since 1968. Cleaning and restoration were performed on each film when new 35 mm prints were struck.

If the above information is correct and Vertigo was taken out of theatrical distribution in 1968, not long after Universal  had obtained the rights to Vertigo from Paramount and not released again until 1983, with no evidence that Universal re-released the film in the 196O's, it seems logical to believe that the poster is from the 1980's re-release of the film. The following black and white 8 x 10 is from 1963 when Vertigo was re-released by Paramount who still retained the rights at that time.

• When the Indian posters first started showing up around 25 to 30 years ago, they included some good 1940s titles, and because they were printed on ancient looking paper, almost everyone (including me) thought they might well be first release from the 1940s.

But then some of them turned up from 1980s titles, and they were printed on the same ancient looking paper! That made everyone with any sense question when the old titles were from, especially because many of each were circulating. Most people concluded, as I did, that they were likely 1980s re-releases, but I never saw any conclusive evidence, just logical guesses.

• In the early silent period
    John said:

I started getting packages of Indian posters unsolicited, with a note inside asking for money.

That has to be the strangest sales technique I have ever heard of.
  • Wish someone would send me posters unsolicited...
  • Our first three new bi-weekly auctions have ended, and now the second three are online, and just like the first three, you all get an extra week to look them all over and place bids.

Now that the first bi-weekly auctions have ended, how do you regular bidders feel about the change? Are you starting to get used to them? I really don't think there is all that much different, but I want to hear YOUR thoughts!

• I thought you were going to two auctions per week, so i have been a bit confused. 
  • Rick said:
    I thought you were going to two auctions per week, so i have been a bit confused. 
     No, the same three auctions, but all last two weeks now.

• Yes, i realise now, i just thought you were reverting to two a week.
  • Rick said:
    Yes, i realise now, i just thought you were reverting to two a week.
    That was my first thought, Rick, because it was the "safe" thing to do.

But the more I thought about it, the more I decided that the bi-weekly approach is better.

I want to eliminate the bottom end stuff, and have bi-weekly auctions where everything is pretty interesting stuff, and we are on the road to that already!

• Hi Bruce,

I was curious as to whether you're seeing an increase in new bidders in recent times?
  • Pancho said:
    Hi Bruce,

I was curious as to whether you're seeing an increase in new bidders in recent times?
    Yes, quite a substantial number! I don't know if it is the change to bi-weekly auctions, but we have substantially more bidders than last year, and they are more aggressive overall, resulting in higher prices on many items.

I suspect a real factor is our continuing effort to weed out the least expensive items (and move the ones we get to bulk lots).

When people are looking at 999 items, and hundreds of them are ones hardly anyone cares about, many people lose interest and quit looking before getting through all the items. But when most of them ARE interesting, many bidders seem to find time to look at every item, and place more bids.

• I know I've been spending more this year despite trying not to.

Peter
  • I know I've been spending more this year despite trying not to.
    Make sure to never drink (or get high) and bid. A BAD combination! :)

• edited March 2020

An important message to all our buyers and consignors about the current world events

Not surprisingly, some of the buyers and consignors who have called in the past week have asked me (Bruce) how I feel the current health situation (and the stock market turmoil) will affect our auctions, and I wanted to post this to tell you my views on this.

Remember I have done nothing but auction movie posters full-time for the past 30 years, so I have a LOT of past experience in how the movie poster collecting hobby reacts to major world events (and in addition, right before I started auctioning full-time, I was an options trader on the floor of the Philadelphia Stock Exchange for 7 years, including on that October 1989 day when the market fell by 23% in a single day, dwarfing the current drops).

First, I want to remind you that we are located in tiny West Plains, Missouri, in the middle of the Ozark Mountains, over 100 miles from a small city, and 200 miles from the nearest large city. There are some drawbacks to being in such a remote location, but in this case, it works the other way, because as of today, there have only been six cases of Corona virus in all of Missouri (and no deaths), and NONE in West Plains at all. So ALL our employees are safe and well, and we have continued preparing our auctions, and filling and sending orders.

My heart goes out to all of you in big cities or in places where there are many cases of Corona virus, and I would imagine most of you are reacting in the way that makes the most sense, which is to limit travel and avoid public gatherings, and I imagine this will continue until there is a sign of the outbreaks leveling off, or if a vaccine or cure is developed.

Which brings me to how it will affect the movie poster collecting hobby. People still have to do SOMETHING with their time. They will be spending more time at home than ever before, so it may well prove to be that they spend far more time looking at poster auctions online (especially since so many sporting and special events you would normally watch on TV have been cancelled). So don't be surprised if you see MORE bidding than usual.

And then there is the issue of the stock market decline. First off, no one knows whether it is temporary, but it sure seems like it is not the end of the world. For example, on Friday, when NO real "good" news of any kind came out, the stock market not only rose, but it rose by around 10%, the greatest single daily rise in history.

And I have found that, with a few exceptions, movie poster collectors generally are NOT major stock investors. Many are too busy buying posters to buy stock, so for all those people the rise and fall of the stock market does not affect them. Most of those movie poster collectors who are "in the market" are in it through their retirement plans, and they have learned from the past that they will have to deal with rises and falls in the short term.

Now I am sure there are some collectors whose work or business is affected by the many announced closures, and those people may have to scale back on purchasing, but I have generally found that poster collectors are very dedicated, and that, when something they really want shows up, they figure out a way to buy it, because they have seen in the past that many items don't come up again for many years, if ever.

IF ANY OF YOU HAVE BEEN AFFECTED BY THE CURRENT SITUATION, AND WANT TO DISCUSS A PAYMENT PLAN FOR ITEMS YOU BUY, PLEASE EMAIL ME. We WILL need you to put around one-third down right away, but we are willing to be flexible on the balance, and unlike EVERY other auction, we NEVER charge you interest on the unpaid balance (other auctions do, and it is almost always a very high rate).

And adding to your collection is one of the safest things you can possibly do right now, health-wise. Bidding online does not involve any physical contact with anyone. The posters do not carry any germs, and they arrive to you wrapped in plastic, and once you unwrap them, you can add safely them to your collection (or display them on your walls) with no fear of catching "something".

And as everyone know, movie poster collecting is lots of FUN, much more so than most other hobbies, because you can display what you own and enjoy it on a daily basis, and everyone you know can appreciate your collection too, much more so than baseball cards, coins, or comic books.

IF ANY OF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT HOW SHIPPING COMPANIES WILL OPERATE IN THE NEXT MONTH OR TWO, PLEASE REMEMBER THAT WE OFFER EVERY BUYER 12 FULL WEEKS OF "PAY AND HOLD". You have to pay for the cost of your purchases, but then we WILL hold onto them for a full 12 weeks, if you wish, before shipping them to you. And let me make this added offer. If after 12 weeks there is any kind of interruption of shipping service of purchases, we will extend your Pay and Hold (with no penalty) until the shipping company resume normal deliveries.

And some last thoughts about the effect of these kinds of events on poster sales. Remember the tragic and awful day of 9/11 in 2001? It was a Tuesday, and we had hundreds of poster auctions ending on eBay (where we auctioned at that time). I expected that no one would be bidding or buying, and that the final prices would be lower than usual. But the auctions actually did far better than "normal", and I think it was because people found that bidding on the posters took their minds off the tragic real life events unfolding before their eyes.

And in 2008 and 2009, when the stock market fell by well over half, our auctions again did better than they had before, and again I think people found that buying posters helped get their minds off of events they could not control. In times of trouble I think it is natural for everyone to nostalgically look back at the past, and movie posters are one of the best ways to do so.

And of course, for centuries, we, the people of this planet have weathered every tragedy thrown at us, and emerged stronger than ever before, and I feel certain that this will happen yet again in the current tragic circumstances. However, it may well alter how people live their lives to some degree, and it may mean a real change in how we gather publicly.

So our auctions will continue as usual. I note that our current Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday auctions ending this coming week already have lots of spirited bidding, and I have every reason to believe they will do great.

Of course, if anything changes, I will let you all know. And know that my greatest wish is that everyone reading this stays safe and healthy through these trying times, and I so hope that in a few months we will have put all this behind us. My very best to all of you. You are all in my thoughts and prayers!

Bruce

• As you likely know, starting last year, we offered ALL customers (U.S. and non-U.S.) to have all you get over an TWELVE week period held at our warehouse through "Pay and Hold" sent in as few packages as possible.

AND NOW WE OFFER EVEN MORE! We know the current world conditions are difficult for many, so we offer ALL our bidders the ability to make payments for their purchases WITH NO INTEREST CHARGE (unlike every other auction). You have to pay one third down immediately after your purchase, and you have to contact us about it before bidding for full details.

And for our NON-U.S. BIDDERS, we know full well that it may make more sense not to send international packages right now (until the current uncertainty is lifted). SO WE WILL EXTEND NON-U.S. PAY AND HOLD AS LONG AS NEEDED (until it makes send to send your purchases). We feel your orders are surely safest in our warehouse than possibly getting "stuck" somewhere along the way.

We want to do whatever we can to help everyone through the current crisis. Thanks.

• The world is shit... I really do appreciate the holds... 
  • Thanks Bruce

Peter
  • Awesome on the holds!  Many thanks.
  • Everything changes so much day by day.

We have to adapt as best we can.

Let me know if there is anything else that can be done.

• Given that many areas of the U.S. have been ordering "non-essential" businesses to close, there is the chance that WE at eMoviePoster.com could have to temporarily close (in spite of our entire county having no one testing positive). So just to be on the safe side, and because I assume all of you will appreciate it, I have made the following changes:

1) I have to consider that there MAY be interruptions in the shipping of packages, so we have announced that not only can all our customers have all their purchases held for 12 weeks via Pay and Hold (by which time one would hope that things will have improved quite a bit) but we also offer to hold any orders for as long beyond that as needed until shipping is back to normal.

2) Because of the nature of our business, we can pretty easily close for a while and then re-open, but of course there is the issue of our upcoming auctions and outstanding not-yet-shipped orders. The above ability to "Pay and Hold" all outstanding orders solves the second issue. But what about the first?

Our April Major Auction starts next week. We are going to have it run for FOUR weeks instead of two, so that it will end April 28th, 30th, and May 3rd. Not only is it extremely likely the world will have started settling down by that time (but of course, no one knows), but this also means bidders will have even longer to look over all the items. After the April  Major Auction ends, we will resume our schedule where we left off.

And of course, I will let you know of any new developments. Thank you all very much for being understanding during these most unusual times.

Bruce

• It will be interesting to see if the times put a dent in prices.
    Of course, still able to bid from the safety of home, and knowing that the items are yours and you just have to wait for shipment is fine, at least for me, and I suspect many others.
    I am noticing a bit of a delay in postage in general, local and international, so not sure I would want stuff sent straight away anyhow...