Skip to content

Musical Film Quiz

Comments

• JNJ15 is not quite what I was looking for.  I think you are on the right track, but just flubbed the title a bit.

• jayn_j said:
    JNJ15 is not quite what I was looking for.  I think you are on the right track, but just flubbed the title a bit.
    A Freudian slip. I have altered the word Dancing to Singing on my earlier answer.

JNJ13. I will hold back on this one and see if someone else will get to answer it.

JNJ14. No idea about the film this image comes from. I feel I know the actress with this one but if it is her, the film has me completely stumped.
  • oh I knew 16.  Its a miracle!
  • HONDO said:

jayn_j said:
    JNJ15 is not quite what I was looking for.  I think you are on the right track, but just flubbed the title a bit.
    A Freudian slip. I have altered the word Dancing to Singing on my earlier answer.

Yep, that is the card, although my scan is better.

This was Judy Garland's last film.  A lot of concern that she was too unreliable, but her TV and concert appearances convinced producers to take a chance.  The result was a good film worth seeing.
  • Hints

JNJ13 has an interesting connection with JNJ2

JNJ14 is probably tough.  A very early Colombia musical that is lost (although the entire soundtrack is available)
  • JNJ14 - Broadway Scandals - only got it using your Columbia clue!

• JNJ13 is the scarecrow from Wizard of Oz right?...K, time for a bit of research
  • JNJ13 - Look for the silver lining - easy once I made it through the MOUNTAIN of Wizard of Oz stuff!

• Right on both counts, Ves.  Nice work.

Yes, that is Ray Bolger who played the scarecrow in WoOz.  The clue I gave was for June Haver, pictured in the yellow dress.   But I goofed June Havoc (not Haver) was Gypsy Rose Lee's sister and the character Baby June in Gypsy.  JUNE HAVER had a successful career in the 40s and 50s.  She quit acting to marry Fred McMurray and stayed married till his death
  • edited January 2021
     16                  17                                                                                                18

Covering many different decades here with this selection..

• Paris (1929) - IMDB says the film is lost, but the soundtrack is in the UCLA archives

• 18 is driving me crazy.  It appears to be a more recent backstage number, but I've gone through La Cage/Birdcage, The Producers (both versions), First Nudie Musical all with no success.  Unless someone else spots it, I am ready for a hint.
  • jayn_j said:
    Paris (1929) - IMDB says the film is lost, but the soundtrack is in the UCLA archiv
    Excellent sleuthing in identifying # 16.

I have also read that the film is assumed to be lost, but interestingly it isn't listed on another resource's website. The website is Arne Andersen's Lost Film Files - The Lost Films Of Columbia Pictures. Andersen  lists films from the years 1925 - 1929.

http://www.silentsaregolden.com/arnecolumbia.html

• jayn_j said:
    18 is driving me crazy.  It appears to be a more recent backstage number, but I've gone through La Cage/Birdcage, The Producers (both versions), First Nudie Musical all with no success.  Unless someone else spots it, I am ready for a hint.
    O.k. then, how about  '' Not your traditional Hollywood musical''.
  • 17. Pennies from Heaven.
  • 17. Pennies from Heaven.
    Pennies From Heaven from 1981 is correct. Watching Christopher Walken dancing in the film is just Wow! 

Fantastic sequence this dance was featured in. I am hoping someone knows the answer or will work it out.

Repeating the clue for the unanswered # 18, which is ''Not your traditional Hollywood musical''.
  • edited January 2021

Clue for # 18 is The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Clue for # 19 is that the female dancer appearing in the image appeared on Broadway in the stage production that the film is adapted from.

While you ponder the # 18 and  # 19 images, here are three easier images that hopefully should't present any problems in answering.

• Got those three, but will let others have a shot.  I like that #22 features the male lead in the signature dance of the film.  A very impressive effort.

In a different life, I author car rallye events of many flavors.  Long ago I learned that when doing a rallye that involved traps/tricks, that it was a lot easier to write something difficult than it was for the contestants to solve it during the event.   I still do the difficult ones, but mostly use it to stroke my own ego, and will delete most if not all of the toughest stuff before the event runs.  A  long way of saying that I think you are aiming too hard toward Bruce and me of late, and I'm willing to be stumped on those two.
  • jayn_j said:
    Got those three, but will let others have a shot.  I like that #22 features the male lead in the signature dance of the film.  A very impressive effort.

In a different life, I author car rallye events of many flavors.  Long ago I learned that when doing a rallye that involved traps/tricks, that it was a lot easier to write something difficult than it was for the contestants to solve it during the event.   I still do the difficult ones, but mostly use it to stroke my own ego, and will delete most if not all of the toughest stuff before the event runs.  A  long way of saying that I think you are aiming too hard toward Bruce and me of late, and I'm willing to be stumped on those two.

A balancing act with this and my other quizes. Yes, I have recently included a few more difficult images to be identified, but in the case of the still unidentified images18 & 19 I honestly didn't believethat they would present any problem in having them answered by a regular contributor to this quiz. I will announce their titles in a day or so, if they still remain unanswered by then.

To balance things out somewhat, and in my defence, I did just post three easier ( I believe ) entries in #'s 20 / 22. I am hoping that they should be able to be identified without too much trouble.

• 22 Bobby Van - Take Me To Broadway

I just showed this classic clip to my 16 and 20 year old daughters, one of whom is an avid dancer.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• edited January 2021
    Bruce said:
    22 Bobby Van - Take Me To Broadway

I just showed this classic clip to my 16 and 20 year old daughters, one of whom is an avid dancer.

Yes the clip is a repise number added to the 'Take Me To Broadway' sequence that is included in the film 'Small Time Girl'; which was released in 1953. The mp4 clip is incorrectly titled 1954 instead of 1953.

Bruce, If you haven't already done so you could inform your avid dancing daughter that the dance was completed in five segments, and not all in one take. A most enjoyable dance routine and hopefully both your two daughters enjoyed watching it.

( Cinematerial )

• HONDO said:
    Bruce, If you haven't already done so you could inform your avid dancing daughter that the dance was completed in five segments, and not all in one take. A most enjoyable dance routine and hopefully both your two daughters enjoyed watching it.
    Yes, they both enjoyed it! We watched several other great dance sequences, including several from Singin' in the Rain.

And yes, if you watch closely you can see the cuts between the segments, but for me that doesn't take anything away!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• edited January 2021
    HONDO said:

Clue for # 20 is that it features an actress / dancer who appeared in a number of classic Hollywood musical films.

Clue  for # 21 is that the actress appearing in this scene once appeared on screen with Judy Garland in the earlier part of her career.

• O.K then, the answer to # 18 is Top Banana ( 1954 ). This film is based on the Phil Silvers' hit broadway musical of the same name. The stage sets and costumes were taken to Hollywood and the film was shot over five days.

• Never even heard of it.  Never seen any paper either.  I looked it up on imdb and also Wikipedia.  There seems to be some interesting bits on the Wikipedia page, especially Phil Silvers comments

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=Top+banana+film&ns0=1
  • HONDO said:

Fantastic sequence this dance was featured in. I am hoping someone knows the answer or will work it out.

It would certainly appear the above image isn't going to be answered.  The film is Whoopee! ( 1930 ). The lead female singer and  dancer is Broadway star Ethel Shutta. The number was choreographed by Busby Berkely, and the film was  shot in early 2-strip Technicolor. 

The film is worth checking out to view. The full clip of the dance sequence can be found on You Tube, under '' Crazy Cowgirl Dance In WHOOPEE! ( 1930 ).

Three more to challenge you.

Any let's not forget these two earlier yet unanswered entries as well.

20  21