Skip to content

Musical Film Quiz

Comments

• 32 is a bit misleading since the film is black and white

• # 29's 6.5 Special  answered correctly by Jay is from 1958.

jayn_j said:
    32 is a bit misleading since the film is black and white
    O.k. then, here is the scene as it originally appeared on the cinema screen when presented in glorious black and white.

• Not to be picky, but I believe that is a publicity still.  My recollection is that the main character and these dancers were more widely separated in the film.

One of my favorites
  • jayn_j said:
    Not to be picky, but I believe that is a publicity still.  My recollection is that the main character and these dancers were more widely separated in the film.

One of my favorites
      The first colour image that I posted was taken from a colour lobby card. The scene that you are referring to does appear on another lobby card.

You may be correct in saying that you believe the shot under the spotlight at present was a publicity pose. A good number of scenes on vintage lobby cards were posed for publicity purposes. The scene you referred to has a large elaborate set, whereas the image I posted only has a closed curtain in the background, which certainly supports your comment.

If no gets to answer this one, I know I count on you to do so.
  • HONDO said:

31                                                                                                                          
    Clue for this one is that there is an Australian connection.,
  • edited February 2021

Just love this one. This scene most likely is a publicity pose for a musical number included in the film rather than it being included in the film.
  • HONDO said:

Just love this one. This scene most likely is a publicity pose for a musical number included in the film rather than it being included in the film.
    Footlight Parade? Sittin' on a backyard fence?

Peter
  • Footlight Parade? Sittin' on a backyard fence?
    Correct. # 33 is Footlight Parade from 1933, with three chorus cat-girls in costume for the Sittin' On The Backfence Number, posing for a publicity photograph.

An actual scene from the film's Sittin' On The Backfence musical number featuring Ruby Keeler with the chorus girls. 

Clues for this one is that the film in question isn't a well known musical, and there is something sad regarding the female lead star.

• HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

31                                                                                                                          
    Final clue is that there is a future James Bond involved.
  • Can't take it anymore.  Bop Girl Goes Calypso (1957)

Star Judy Tyler died in a car crash in Wyoming soon after.

Bobby Troup also starred and wrote the music.  Troup is best known for his role in Emergency! TV series, and for writing the classic jazz song Route 66.
  • jayn_j said:
    Can't take it anymore.  Bop Girl Goes Calypso (1957)

Star Judy Tyler died in a car crash in Wyoming soon after.

Bobby Troup also starred and wrote the music.  Troup is best known for his role in Emergency! TV series, and for writing the classic jazz song Route 66.
    Correct. # 34 was also released as Bop Girl. Boby Troup was long time married to Julie London, and both appeared together in the Emergency! TV series ( 1972 -  1979 ).

Judy Tyler made two feature films, Bop Girl Goes Calypso. then followed up by Jailhouse Rock. She died at the age of 24,  three days after Jailhouse Rock had completed filming. Due to her premature death she never had the opportunity to view her performances in either of her two feature 1957 films.

( X marksthe shop ) 

U.S.A. insert of Bop Girl, U.S.A, Bop Girl Goes Calypso version insert poster and a Bop Girl Australian daybill poster. Interestingly the Australian Bop Girl daybill is similar to the the Bop Girl Goes calypso U.S. artwork, and not the U.S. Bop Girl version.

Judy Tyler seen here with Elvis Presley in a scene from Jailhouse Rock. A promising career brought to a premature end.
  • HONDO said:
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

31                                                                                                                          
    Interrupted Melody
  • HONDO said:
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

31                                                                                                                          
    Interrupted Melody
    Correct. Interrupted Melody is the 1955 MGM Biographical musical film about Austalian opera diva Majorie Lawrence. It includes her battle with polio and her triumphant operatic comeback.

Although Roger Moore was billed third, he only had  a small role in the film playing Majorie Lawrence's brother.

• HONDO said:

We are now left with this image still to be identified. Think Christmas.
  • Should I give folks another day?
  • edited February 2021
    jayn_j said:
    Should I give folks another day?
    Yes... why not. 

A final clue is that the film is a Christmas season favourite.
  • My first thought was Holiday Inn but I thought it was too obvious...I think I'm correct!

Peter

• My first thought was Holiday Inn but I thought it was too obvious...I think I'm correct!
    Yes # 32 certainly is Holiday Inn ( 1942 ).

As mentioned earlier by Jay this image was certainly shot solely for publicity purposes only.

This is the actual scene from the movie as Jay remembers it.

•  35 36  37

Three more images to test your musical film knowledge, or possible backup detective skills.

One of these should be easy enough to recognise, but perhaps the remaining two may possibly present a challenge. 
  • 36.  A Chorus Line
  • 36.  A Chorus Line

Correct. The Chorus Line from 1985. I had thought someone would know this one.

• One image is from a Brirish film and the other is from an American film. A clue is that there is a major connection berween the two films. 
  • HONDO said:

For 35 and 37 one image is from a Brirish film and the other is from an American film. A clue is that there is a major connection berween the two films. 

Additional clue for 35 and 37 is that a successful husband and wife team were involved..

• Is 37 Irene Castle?
  • If that is the case, could 35 be from Shall We Dance 6(1937).  That film was based on the Castle Broadway show Watch Your Step.  Can't find an image however

• jayn_j said:
    Is 37 Irene Castle?
    Unfortunately not.
    jayn_j said:
    If that is the case, could 35 be from Shall We Dance 6(1937).  That film was based on the Castle Broadway show Watch Your Step.  Can't find an image however
    You are commended on your thinking though.

Final clue is the same actress appears in the two films. More well known ( huge ) in the U.K. than in the U.S.A.

O.k. then, it appears this one was a little difficult to answer. The image is of Anna Neagle the British actress appearing in the U.S.A. film Sunny ( 1941 ).

This now leaves number 35 to be answered. From all my previous clues I am now hoping this one will be able to be answered.

• edited March 2021
    Ok, that does it.  Backstage 1937. Another I've never heard of.

•  jayn_j said:
    Ok, that does it.  Backstage 1937. Another I've never heard of.

Yes it is. I thought someone would get to answer it once the clues were re-examined following the Sunny poster design being added to the thread.  

Backstage was originally titled Limelight. Limelight was releasded in the U. K. in 1936 and retitled Backstage when released in the U.S.A. in 1937.